Documentation Guidelines

If you are seeking accommodations, you are required to provide the Centre for Accessibility with current documentation of your medical condition/disability

You can provide documentation from certified and licensed medical doctors, psychologists, or other health professionals who have specific training, expertise, and experience in the diagnosis of conditions for which accommodation is being requested.

Documentation is treated by the Centre for Accessibility as confidential in accordance with Freedom of Information Guidelines.

Documentation provided by practitioners must:

  • be legible and preferably typed and submitted on letterhead
  • include the practitioner's name, license number, title, phone/fax, mailing and email addresses, and signature
  • indicate the length of time you have been under the practitioner's care
  • describe the nature of your medical condition/disability, along with a detailed explanation of the functional impact of the disability (A diagnosis alone is not sufficient to support a request for an accommodation)
  • provide sufficient detail so our staff can determine appropriate accommodations
  • describe the symptoms that formed the basis for the practitioner's diagnosis
  • include relevant test results and supporting documentation if the practitioner is verifying an existing diagnosis
  • describe the timelines for rehabilitation and recovery if the diagnosis is of a temporary nature
  • identify side effects of medications that may adversely affect academics

Certain disabilities have specific informational requirements. These include:

  • complete psycho-educational assessment for a learning disability
  • additional information on documentation standards
  • neuropsychological assessment for a traumatic brain injury
  • audiology report for a hearing disability
  • ophthalmology report for a visual disability

Any expenses related to obtaining documentation of disability are your responsibility. Please note that if you are applying for government funding, it is often helpful to have documentation provided using a Verification of Disability form specific to your home province.