Note takers can help students who are not able to take their own or sufficient notes during class due to a disability or ongoing medical condition. Note taking does not replace your attendance requirements.
Please consider whether you need a note taker for courses where lectures are asynchronous, meaning lectures are self-paced for students and recordings are available at any time during the term.
Important updates for 2021/22 Winter Session
Starting September 2021, at the beginning of each term, you can request your note takers at the same website where you download your accommodation letters and book your exams.
The online platform will allow you to:
- Access all your notes in one central location instead of receiving your notes by email
- Download, save, and print your notes
- Maintain your confidentiality
- Receive a notification email when your note taker has uploaded their notes.
- Cancel your notetaking request online
- Find the name of your note taker and contact information if you need to connect with them.
The Centre for Accessibility will continue to recruit note takers by posting the jobs on CareersOnline and by emailing your classes.
If you're eligible for this accommodation
- Submit a request online by logging into the platform with your CWL account. You cannot request your note takers until the data sync is active, which is usually a few days before classes start.
- Similar to booking your exams, you must first generate an accommodation letter for each course you need a note taker.
- Once your letter has been generated, go to "Course Notes" on the homepage and select the correct term. Click “Refresh”.
- Find your course. Under the column title, “I require a note taker”, click on “Change this”. It will ask you to confirm. Once you confirm, the “No” will change to “Yes”.
- Continue to check the platform for updates to see if a note taker has been assigned to you.
- Once you have a note taker, you will be able to access the notes on “Course Notes”. Click on the “Notes” button beside the course to download the notes onto your computer.
The Centre does its best to fulfill notetaking requests, but not all requests are guaranteed to be filled.
Dates and deadlines
Note taker requests must be completed by the third week of the term or one week after the add/drop date. Late requests will not be accepted.
If you drop a class or no longer need a note taker, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.