Types of academic accommodations

Academic accommodations are intended to provide students with a disability or ongoing medical condition access to the academic environment. To receive academic accommodations, register with Centre for Accessibility. A Diversity Advisor-Disability will determine the accommodations you are eligible for.  

Read more about accommodation for students with disabilities in the Academic Calendar

Alternate format

Alternate format materials provide students with print disabilities access to academic materials. Examples of alternate formats include digital audio, braille, and electronic text.

If you're eligible for this accommodation

Request production of alternate format materials

  1. Contact your instructor for reading lists and course syllabi ahead of time.
  2. Complete an Alternate Format Request Form for each item you need in alternate format.
  3. Upload/submit your materials to Crane Library as directed by the Request Form, including proof of purchase when applicable. Physical copies of texts may be dropped off at Crane Library.
  4. Collect materials from Crane Library after you’ve received the formatted versions. E-text and audio files are emailed directly to the email address you provided in the student information system (SISC). Timelines for production vary.

Dates and deadlines

  • You should register with the Centre for Accessibility at least 2 or 3 months before the start of the term.
  • Requests for production should be submitted 4-6 weeks in advance of the term.

Assistive technology

The Centre for Accessibility facilitates access to the following assistive technology:

  • Dragon Naturally Speaking
  • Jaws
  • Read and Write Guld
  • Zoom Text
  • CCTV Magnifier
  • Inspiration Software

If you require specialized equipment and/or software, you may be eligible for funding support. Please contact your Accessibility Advisor.

Captioning and sign language interpreting

Sign interpreting, oral interpreting, and captioning services are available for eligible deaf and hard of hearing students.

If you are eligible for this accommodation

If you require this accommodation you must register with the Centre for Accessibility as early as possible before the beginning of your program.

You'll be required to submit a Request for Classroom Captioning or Interpreting Form if you are eligible. If you require captioned audio-visual materials (such as videos), please contact info.accessibility@ubc.ca.

Faculty and staff:

Please fill out the request form. Requests should be made 2 weeks prior to the event. You will be contacted about your request shortly.

Note taking

Note takers can help students who are not able to take their own or sufficient notes in class due to a disability or ongoing medical condition. Note taking does not replace your attendance requirements.

If you're eligible for this accommodation

Submit an Online Note taker Request Form at the beginning of each term.

At the Centre for Accessibility, we do our best to fulfill note-taking requests, but we can't guarantee that all requests will be filled.

Dates and deadlines

Note taker requests must be completed by the third week of the term or one week after the add/drop date. Late requests will not be accepted. If you drop a class or no longer need a notetaker, please email access.assistants@ubc.ca as soon as possible.

Strategic Content Tutoring

Peer tutoring is available for registered students with a disability or ongoing medical condition. Please note that this is a program, and is not an academic accommodation.

About the program

This program matches students with a trained peer tutor for weekly one-to-one tutoring for an approved number of hours. There is no charge for the program.

Tutoring is provided by UBC students and takes place on campus. Tutors are matched with clients who have a similar academic focus so that they can understand the tasks and challenges of their clients.

The tutoring program uses the Strategic Content Learning approach. This approach emphasizes effective learning and study strategies rather than focusing on course content.

Tutoring is expected to take place on campus in a public facility, such as group study areas in libraries, open classrooms, and student lounges.

Areas of focus

  • Memory retention and retrieval
  • Exam preparation and test-taking strategies
  • Study skills
  • Reading and writing skills
  • Time management

To access this service

  1. Register with Centre for Accessibility.

  2. Complete a Request Form.

Dates and deadlines

The program runs throughout the year. Your application should be submitted within the first 6 weeks of the term. A tutor match can take up to 3 weeks.

Contact us

Centre for Accessibility

Centre for Accessibility

Student Services


Brock Hall
1874 East Mall
Room 1203
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


8:30 am - 4:30 pm
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
8:30 am - 4:00 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm