Before registering for a course, it is important to check the Course Schedule to learn how the course is being delivered. At UBC, a single course may include multiple course activities, such as Lectures, Labs, Seminars, or other activity types. Review the guide to UBC classes to learn about course formats and assessment at UBC.
Course modes of delivery
About UBC courses
How UBC courses are delivered
In the Course Schedule, each course activity will show a “Mode of Delivery”, which describes how each individual component (e.g., lecture, lab, tutorial, discussion) within a course is going to be delivered.
UBC offers the following course modes of delivery for the 2022/23 Winter Session:
- In-Person: The course activity takes place in-person.
- Online: The course activity is fully online and does not require any in-person attendance to complete.
- Hybrid: The course activity has a mixture of mandatory in-person and online activities as designed by the instructor.
- Multi-Access: The course activity gives students the choice to attend either in person or online, as designed by the instructor.
In some courses, one activity may be delivered online while another activity is in-person, so simply selecting “online”, “hybrid”, or “multi-access” as the Mode of Delivery for a course does not guarantee that all the course elements are fully online. For example, a course may have an online lecture, with the lab component conducted on campus.
Make sure to check the Section Notes of each course activity on the Course Schedule to confirm the Mode of Delivery. When the term begins, read the syllabus for the most up-to-date and accurate course information.
Confirm the Mode of Delivery for all the courses on your worklist before registering. The Course Schedule may continue to change up until the registration date.
Choosing your courses
Use the Course Schedule search tool to help you select your courses.
Most courses will be in-person. If any component of a course is delivered in person, the Course Schedule will show that it requires in-person attendance.
How to search for online courses
If you would like to limit your search to only classes that are delivered fully online, use the Course Schedule search tool and select “No” in the field for "Courses that require in-person attendance”.
This search filter will restrict your search to display only the courses that are fully online and have no in-person components.
Registering for courses
You’ll receive your registration date and time through email about 2 weeks before your registration opens. Learn tips and tricks to building a worklist and prepare for your registration.
If you have questions
- For questions related to course selection and degree planning, please contact your Academic Advising office.
- For questions on how to build a worklist or use the Course Schedule, contact your Enrolment Services Advisor.