Credit/D/Fail grading

About Credit/D/Fail

The Credit/D/Fail (Cr/D/F) grading policy was created to:

  • Encourage exploration of other subjects outside their program of study,
  • Emphasize learning and academic exploration of the new and unfamiliar, and
  • Expose students to a broader-based curriculum.

The policy was supported by the AMS Council and approved by UBC Vancouver Senate in March of 2009.

Credit/D/Fail is available to students in some direct-entry undergraduate programs of study. They can take eligible elective courses for Credit, D, or Fail standing instead of percentage grades.

How it looks on your transcript

You'll be expected to complete all of the coursework and exams. You will be assigned a percentage grade, but only the standing will be displayed on your grades record or official transcript. These documents won't display any percentage or letter grade. 

You'll get credit for courses with a Credit or D standing, but not for an Fail standing. Courses that you take for Cr/D/Fail won't be counted toward your grade average calculations. 

The standings are awarded for the following percentage grades:

  • Cr: 55% or higher
  • D: 50-54.9%
  • F: less than 50%, or below the passing grade

For courses where the passing grade is higher than 50%, (e.g., 60%), only Cr or F will be awarded.

Eligibility checklist

You'll be eligible to take courses for Credit/D/Fail (Cr/D/F) grading if all of the following apply:

  • You're in a direct-entry undergraduate program, with the exception of Applied Science.

  • Your program allows Credit/D/Fail courses (check the course description in the course schedule).

  • You understand the possible awards implications.

  • Your course doesn't require a percentage grade as a prerequisite to a course you may want to take in the future.

  • The course is an elective in your program.

  • You're not taking more than 6 Cr/D/F credits in one Session (Winter or Summer).

  • You don't take more than 12 Cr/D/F credits in total toward your degree program.

Future programs

If you're thinking of applying to a particular graduate or other program in the future, you should look into the possible impact of Cr/D/F grading on that program's entrance requirements.

Awards implications


Students have to meet the minimum courseload requirements to maintain scholarship eligibility. These requirements are based on percentage-graded credits so Credit/D/Fail (Cr/D/F) grading, which is not percentage graded, may affect your scholarship eligibility.

Read UBC's Regulations Governing University Awards to get full details on minimum requirements for your award type.

If you're at all unsure about how Cr/D/Fail might affect your award eligibility, contact an Enrolment Services Advisor to understand your eligibility and options.


Credit/D/Fail grading does not impact your eligibility for bursaries, which are awarded based on financial need. 

Signing up for Cr/D/F grading

  1. Register for your courses as you normally would.
  2. In the course schedule, go to the Add/Drop screen and select "Manage Cr/D/F Courses."
  3. You'll see courses you've registered for that are eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading.
  4. Select the course you want to take for Credit/D/Fail grading.
  5. Make sure it's an elective in your program.
  6. Click "Switch Selection to Credit/D/Fail Grading."
  7. Navigate back to the Add/Drop screen.
  8. The "Registered Courses" table will be updated to show that the course is now Cr/D/F. 

Switching your course back to percentage grading

Before the add/drop date

  1. Log in to the course schedule and go to the Add/Drop screen.
  2. Click "Manage Cr/D/F Courses."
  3. Select the course(s) you'd like to switch back to percentage grading.
  4. Click "Switch Selection to Percentage Grading."

Switching after the add/drop date

You can switch between Cr/D/F and percentage grading anytime before the Add/Drop deadline. After that, you'll need permission from your faculty to request a change.

Changing your program of study

If you've changed your program, you can only switch between Cr/D/F and percentage grading if:

  • Your new program of study does not allow courses for Credit/D/Fail grading.
  • A course you took for Credit/D/Fail is a requirement in your new program. 

If you have questions

If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Services Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.  

Graduate, postgraduate, and all other students can contact an Enrolment Services Advisor by calling 604 822 9836 or submitting your question through the online form.