Non-Degree Studies for Access Studies


You can apply as an Access Studies student to take courses for general interest outside of a degree program if:

There are further steps required if you are a senior citizen, or a high school (concurrent) student.

When to apply

Course start date Application deadline
September (Winter Session Term 1) July 15
January (Winter Session Term 2) October 15
May (Summer Session Term 1 or 2) March 15

How to apply

Select your courses

  1. Search the Course Schedule for eligible courses in Arts, Forestry, Land and Food Systems, and/or Science.
  2. Select Course Search and enter the subject area or keywords for your area of interest ensuring that you meet the stated course restrictions and prerequisites.

Apply online

New students

If you're new to UBC, or have previously applied to but not attended UBC, you’ll need to create a new student account.

  1. Create an Education Planner BC account online. 

  2. Fill in your personal information and academic history.  

  3. Click “Start Applying” and select University of British Columbia as the institution.

  4. Select the appropriate Admissions Category based on your academic history.

  5. Select “Access Student” under First Program Choice. 

  6. When asked, make sure to include the list of course(s) you’re interested in taking or the specific program under which you would like to take courses.

  7. UBC Admissions will email you with a confirmation of your application and next steps.

  8. After completing your application, email any additional and required documents to

Current students 

If you have previously been admitted to UBC or if you've registered in courses at UBC, email with the following information:

  • Full name

  • Previously assigned UBC student number

  • Your Non-Degree Category, which is “Access”

  • Your intended start date

Senior citizens

BC residents 65 years of age or over who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and do not hold a bachelor's degree from a recognized institution are eligible to apply through Access Studies to take courses for general interest.

Tuition costs for senior citizens

Normally, senior citizens do not pay tuition or student fees, except for Distance Education administrative course fees and programs within Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, or any faculty or school where existing facilities and resources are limited.

See up-to-date administrative course fees for Distance Education on the Academic Calendar.

If you wish to opt in to the full suite of student fees, please email  

Expect to pay about $100 – $150 per course for course materials, which are available through the UBC Bookstore.

How to apply as a senior citizen

Follow the application instructions above and send proof of your date of birth, such as a photocopy of a passport or driver's license, and your UBC reference or student number by emailing

High school (concurrent) students

To be considered for concurrent studies at UBC as an Access Studies student:

  • You must have a superior academic record
  • You must be enrolled in a BC secondary school in a program that meets regular UBC entry requirements
  • You must present a written recommendation from your high school principal
  • You must have the written consent of your parent or legal guardian

How to apply as a high school student

Submit your application and required materials by the deadline, and  we will submit them to your chosen faculty for evaluation. 

Once you have been approved by the faculty for enrolment in courses at UBC, you will receive an email with confirmation and registration instructions. Forward supporting documentation to with your full name and UBC reference (student) number.

Other things to know

  • Enrolment for Access Studies students is limited to 6 credits per term to a lifetime maximum of 24 credits
  • Being admitted to UBC as an Access Studies student does not guarantee entrance to your requested courses or subsequent admission to a degree program at UBC
  • You may be able to transfer your courses to a future UBC degree program, at the discretion of the faculty you apply to
  • To register, you'll need to meet course prerequisites through previous study, relevant experience, or instructor permission

If you have questions

Non-Degree Studies - UBC Vancouver

Non-Degree Studies - UBC Vancouver

Enrolment Services

Enrolment Services Advising Centre
Brock Hall
1874 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1