Emergency funding

About the funding

Sometimes, even with the best planning, you may run into a situation that is out of your control and may need short-term financial help. UBC may be able to provide emergency financial support to help cover a temporary shortfall due to an unexpected situation when all other financial options have been exhausted. All requests for financial support are confidential and separate from your academic record.

Examples of costs that may be considered for financial support include:

  • Rent or temporary emergency housing 
  • Food and essential items 
  • Childcare 
  • Emergency medical costs not covered through AMS/GSS extended health coverage or Indigenous Health Authority coverage
  • Unexpected travel expenses

Items that UBC does not provide funding for include (but are not limited to) costs such as tuition, student fees, credit card payments, car payments, loan payments, and pet care. Emergency funding is not intended to support family or friends.

Eligibility requirements

Degree-seeking students must be enrolled and registered in an undergraduate, graduate or post-baccalaureate degree program at the UBC Vancouver campus.

How to apply

There are 2 ways to apply for emergency funding:

  1. Contact an Enrolment Services Advisor.
  2. Submit an online application.

Contact an Enrolment Services Advisor 

If you’re an undergraduate student, one option is to contact your Enrolment Services Advisor to discuss your situation.

If you’re a graduate or post-baccalaureate degree student, you can call 604 822 9836, visit Brock Hall, or submit an online form to request a virtual appointment. 

If you’re an Indigenous student, please contact your assigned ES Advisor or reach out to the Indigenous Student Support team by emailing es.indigenous@ubc.ca.

Submit an online application

Alternatively, you can fill out an online application for funding. Your application will be reviewed by an Enrolment Services Advisor and you may be contacted by email or phone if more information is required. If you are an undergraduate student, please note that your application will be reviewed by your assigned Enrolment Services Advisor.

Apply online

Additional resources