Alternative Sources of Funding for US students

Veteran’s Affairs

US veterans, their dependents, and/or spouses attending UBC may be eligible for educational benefits through the US Department of Veterans Affairs.


To determine if you are eligible for educational benefits, please apply online through the US Department of Veterans Affairs or apply in person at a local Veterans Affairs regional benefit office

To request confirmation of program eligibility, please email with your intended program of study and UBC will work with VA to determine its eligibility and notify you by email of VA’s decision. This process usually takes 2 – 4 weeks but can take longer depending on the time of year.

Applying and using benefits at UBC

Email with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and your program of study. If your program is eligible, UBC’s certifying officials will complete a V22-1999a form on your behalf and work with you to secure your funding.


Students who have completed voluntary activities for AmeriCorps may be eligible for an Education Award. UBC is a qualified institution for certifying Americorps Education Awards.


To determine your eligibility for educational benefits and request disbursements (payments) from your education awards, please log into your My Americorps account or call Americorps directly at 1-800-942-2677.

Using your benefits at UBC

Once you have applied for your AmeriCorps benefits through your My AmeriCorps account, UBC will receive an email from AmeriCorps to complete a cost of attendance for you and confirm your enrolment.

AmeriCorps cheques (in USD) are sent directly to UBC and these cheques are applied to your tuition account. We will notify you by email when a cheque has been received and applied to your tuition account.

State Funding

UBC can provide cost of attendance and confirmation of enrolment information for students applying for a number of state funded and 529 college savings plans including:

  • Alaska Education Loans

  • Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET)

  • Rhode Island Higher Education Assistance Authority (RIHEAA)

  • Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)

For RIHEAA and VSAC: Email to see if we have received your electronic loan or enrolment request. Please provide your name, and UBC student number.

For Alaska Education Loans: drop by Enrolment Services to get your paperwork signed (Alaska). 

If you are eligible for student loans from a state not listed above, please email with your name and UBC student number.

Contact us