A. Download the newest form
IRCC makes periodic updates to their application forms. Always make sure you're using the most current application form by downloading a new form directly from the IRCC website.
If you see the “Please wait…” message when you're downloading the form:
Click on the download arrow at the top right to save the file onto your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader. If you don’t see the arrow, move your cursor to the top of the screen and it will appear.
B. Get help with commonly asked questions
What is a UCI?
UCI stands for “Unique Client Identifier,” also known as “Client ID.” It is an eight-digit number. If you do not have a UCI, leave this section blank.
What is UBC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number?
UBC's DLI is O19330231062. It starts with the letter "O" and not zero.
How do I answer “Duration of expected study”?
- In the "From" field: use the "Program Start Date" shown on your Letter of Acceptance.
- In the "To" field: Use a date up to 90 days after your anticipated program completion date.
How do I fill out the "Employment" section?
The information you provide in this section helps IRCC have a fuller picture of your activities within the last ten years:
- Include all part-time and full-time jobs as well as any internships and practicum placements.
- Include high school and, if applicable, post-secondary education (even if you are repeating the same information from the "Education" section).
- You can write "student" as your occupation.
- If you need more space, provide additional info in a separate Word document. If you're applying online, upload this document in the "Letter of Explanation" section in your MyCIC account.
How can I sign the form if I apply online?
You cannot sign your name in the signature field on the bottom of page 4 if applying online. Upload the form without signing.
- After uploading all your documents, you will later be asked to electronically sign your application by typing your name.
- Do not print and sign the form because you will not be able to upload it to the site.
C. Validate your form
When you finish filling out your application form, click the blue “Validate” button (found on the first or last page). This will highlight any missing information that's required.
- You can make changes after the application is successfully validated - just remember to validate again.
- You can edit and validate as many times as you need.
D. If applying online, take screenshots as you apply
In case there are issues with your application submission, take screenshots of these screens:
- The "Your document checklist" page after all your documents have been successfully uploaded to your MyCIC account.
- The "Acknowledgment of receipt" page after the application has been submitted.
- After uploading/submitting any ‘after-the-fact’ documents that an IRCC officer has requested after your original application has been submitted.
Save your screenshots to a safe place where you can access them easily.