Tutorial: How to apply for an initial study permit

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying for your study permit.

5. Get your study permit

If your application is approved, IRCC will email you a Letter of Introduction.

Print and present this letter to the border officer when you enter Canada. The border officer will then issue your study permit (a piece of paper).  

Do not book travel until you have received your Letter of Introduction.

Letter of Introduction (Sample) 
Letter of Introduction Sample

If your application is refused

Send a copy of your refusal letter and all documents submitted with your application through the International Student Advising online form with your student ID number as soon as possible.

Wondering if you need a visa to enter Canada?

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If you do, IRCC will issue the TRV or eTA once your study permit is approved. 

You do not need to apply separately for either a TRV or eTA. This is the case only when applying for your initial study permit application.

How to get your TRV 

The usual procedure is that IRCC will contact you to ask for your passport once your study permit is approved. You will then send your passport to your visa office so they can attach your TRV (a sticker) on a page inside your passport.

How to get your eTA 

Once your study permit is approved, IRCC will automatically include your eTA number in your Letter of Introduction. No action is required by you. You can check your eTA status online.