Tutorial: How to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada Tutorial

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying for your TRV.

1. Overview of the process

Eligibility Visit the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) page.
When to apply

If you are from a visa-required country and have travel plans, you will need a TRV (along with your valid study permit and passport) to re-enter Canada.

Apply at least 3 months before your planned departure from Canada or immediately after you have extended your study/work permit.


$100.00 CAD and

$85.00 CAD for biometrics, if applicable

Processing time Check this website for weekly updates
How to apply

Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website


  • You can only apply by paper if you are unable to apply online because of a disability, or your identity or travel document was issued to a refugee, stateless person or a non-citizen. Fill out the forms, gather all required documents and send to the IRCC Case Processing Centre in Ottawa, Ontario

Applying for family members: When generating your checklist for your family members through IRCC’s online system, the correct forms (e.g. [IMM5257]) will not be triggered for your family members. Unfortunately, the system generates a different form: [IMM5708]. 

If you submit this form, you will be asking for your family members’ status to change, not applying for a TRV. Therefore, please submit separate applications for each family member. Please speak with International Student Advising to go through this process in more detail.

Application form

To avoid delays with your application, always download the most current form from the IRCC website.


Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM5257E]

Important: Choose this form even if you are applying from within Canada.


Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) [IMM5257E]