If you have questions about life as an international student, International Student Advising is here to help. International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can support you in your experience as a UBC international student.
International Student Advising
About International Student Advising
International Student Guide
Find answers to your questions on studying and working in Canada, health insurance, as well as step-by-step tutorials to prepare your immigration application and more.
COVID-19 FAQs for international students
Read more about the impact of COVID-19 on immigration and health insurance for international students.
Online application review courses
Before applying for your study permit extension, Temporary Resident Visa, co-op work permit, or Post-Graduation Work Permit, sign up for the Canvas application review courses for step-by-step instructions on how to prepare your application and avoid common mistakes.
What International Student Advising cannot help with
- Parent, extended family, or friend’s documents (only spouse/common-law partners and children)
- Questions about Permanent Residence
- Work permits unrelated to studies
- Influencing processing times
- Contacting IRCC on your behalf
- Starting your own business
- US immigration or any other country’s immigration regulations
- Prospective student inquiries
- Advising non-UBC students
Leave a message for an International Student Advisor to get advice.
Visit the International Student Advising office in the UBC Life Building (Room 1200), located on the main floor across from Starbucks.
- Monday: 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Tuesday: 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Thursday: 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Friday: 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Check the wait times
The International Student Advising Virtual Line shows the service wait time during open hours. You have two options to sign up:
- Sign in to the virtual line to get into the queue before arriving to the office.
- Drop by the office and use the tablet to sign into the virtual line.
Zoom advising hours are as follows:
- Monday: 9:30 - 11:30 am, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
- Tuesday: 9:30 - 11:30 am, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
- Wednesday: 10:00 - 11:30 am, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
- Thursday: 9:30 - 11:30 am, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
- Friday: 9:30 - 11:30 am, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
Get immigration reminders
Add your document expiry dates to the confidential UBC Reminder System and receive notifications for when you need to extend your documents. You can also get helpful tips on how to prepare your application.
Hear about jobs, news, and events
Sign up for the Community Update newsletter to get important weekly updates for international UBC students.