Special Event Permit for indoor space


Some locations on campus such as Pit Pub and the University Centre have permanent licenses. To serve alcohol at any other location, you must get a temporary liquor license called a Special Event Permit (SEP), or hire a caterer who is licensed to serve alcohol. If you are the event organizer, you and your staff are prohibited from consuming alcohol at the event.

Plan ahead

Submit your request form (pdf) to the appropriate signing authority at least 30 days before the date of the event. If you do not submit your request in time, your license may not be granted in time for your event.

Find your signing authority for:

Getting your Special Event Permit

When you organize an event, you have a legal responsibility to follow all provincial and University rules to ensure the safety of all event attendees.

To serve alcohol at your event, you must:


If your event violates the Special Event Permit (SEP), you will be responsible for any fines imposed by the BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, unless you made an official booking on behalf of a faculty or department.

Fines Amount in Canadian dollars
Selling liquor to minors $7,500 to $10,000
Minors on licensed premises $5,000 to $7,500
Permitting a person to become intoxicated $5,000 to $7,000
Permitting more persons than allowed by the occupant load $5,000 to $7,000
A failure to take reasonable measures to ensure that the operation of the licensed establishment is not contrary to the public interest and does not disturb persons in the vicinity of the establishment $7,500 to $10,000

Events with more than 100 attendees

If you are planning an event with more than 100 attendees where liquor will be served, you need to complete and submit the following forms to the appropriate signing authority at least 30 days before the event:


UBC provides full-service catering through Sage Catering. You can also browse other pick up or delivery catering options provided by UBC Food Services.

Other catering companies

If you are holding an event where an alternate caterer will be serving alcohol, please submit the catering permission form (pdf).

All event booking procedures must be followed regardless of whether the special event liquor license is held by the organizer or the caterer.

Additional resources

Stay informed