Request an accommodation

If you have a disability or ongoing medical condition, register with the Centre for Accessibility to get academic accommodations and other supports.

Eligibility for accommodations

UBC's Centre for Accessibility determines a student's eligibility for accommodations in accordance with the university's Disability Accommodation Policy (pdf) (Policy LR7). 

The types of conditions supported by the Centre for Accessibility include, but are not limited to:

  • Mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety disorders, or bi-polar disorder
  • Neurological disabilities such as attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, learning disabilities, head injuries, and Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Chronic health conditions including ongoing medical conditions such as arthritis, chronic pain, Crohn’s disease, or migraines
  • Physical or sensory disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing loss, or mobility impairments

Academic accommodations are not determined by your instructor. However, your instructor may consult with the Centre for Accessibility should the accommodations affect the essential learning outcomes of a course. 

Temporary injuries or conditions

The Centre mainly works with students with permanent or ongoing conditions. There is also a 1-3 week waiting period for new client appointments. 

Please contact your Academic Advisor, if before your scheduled appointment, the following happens:

  • You have a temporary injury or condition you're reasonably expected to recover within a term or
  • You have a time sensitive issue (e.g.,  coursework or an exam) that will be impacted by your condition before your scheduled appointment

How to request an accommodation

In order to request an accommodation, you must register with the Centre by booking an appointment with an Accessibility Advisor. You are encouraged to register as soon as you have been offered admission.

After your appointment, your Accessibility Advisor will determine the academic accommodations you're eligible for.

All intake appointments are scheduled for one hour except for prospective students and those in the Real Estate program or affiliate colleges.

Changing your academic accommodations

Meet with your Accessibility Advisor as early as possible  to request new accommodations or changes to your current ones. Depending on the nature of the accommodation and the timing of the request, it may not be possible to implement the changes immediately.


You are not required to share information or documentation about your disability or ongoing-medical condition with your instructor or any other University office. Your transcript and other student records will not note your registration with the Centre for Accessibility.

By registering with the Centre for Accessibility, you have given permission for the Centre to share the minimum information necessary to ensure the provision of services. 

The Centre for Accessibility is committed to keeping your documentation confidential in accordance with BC's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Inform your instructor

If information about the nature of your disability or documentation is needed, please direct your instructor or other University offices to the Centre for Accessibility.

Student resources

Contact us

Centre for Accessibility

Centre for Accessibility

Student Services

Brock Hall (currently closed)
1874 East Mall
Room 1203
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


8:30 am - 4:30 pm
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
8:30 am - 4:00 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Related information