Off-campus exams


All students writing exams outside of the Vancouver campus have to apply to write their exams. A separate application is required for each exam.

An off-campus exam is an option if you have Standing Deferred (SD) or supplemental exams and you're located outside Metro Vancouver (north of Squamish and east of Chilliwack) during that period.

Application dates for SD and supplemental exams

There are specific exam periods for standing deferred and supplemental exams. All student exam schedules are listed in your local time.

Make sure you apply to write your exam during the following dates.

2022/23 Winter session courses

  • On-campus application period: Apr 3 to Jun 12, 2023
  • Off-campus application period: May 1 to Jun 12, 2023
  • Exam period: Jul 24 to Aug 4, 2023

2023 Summer session courses

  • Application period: Sep 1 to Oct 2, 2023
  • Exam date: Nov 12, 2023

If you miss the application deadline

Late applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Contact for more information.

Application fees

Deferred examination

Location Fee per paper in Canadian dollars
Okanagan $97.30
Vancouver $97.30
Canada or USA $108.10
International $151.40

Supplemental examination

Location Fee per paper in Canadian dollars
Okanagan $97.30
Vancouver $97.30
Canada or USA $108.10
International $151.40

Before you apply

To write an off-campus exam at a UBC partner exam centre, check if there is one in your area from the list below. 

British Columbia

  • Abbotsford
  • Courtenay
  • Kamloops
  • Kelowna
  • Penticton
  • Salmon Arm
  • Victoria


  • Alberta: Calgary
  • Manitoba: Winnipeg
  • Nova Scotia: Halifax
  • Ontario: Hamilton, Sarnia
  • Quebec: Montreal
  • Saskatchewan: Regina, Saskatoon
  • Yukon Territory: Whitehorse


  • Beijing

If your location is not listed above

If you are unable to write your exam at a Partner Exam Centre listed above, you'll have to apply to write your exam at another location and find an invigilator for your exam.

Review the invigilator guidelines and the types of invigilators UBC accepts below.

    Invigilator Guidelines

    • The exam must be written at the invigilator’s place of work
    • Invigilators cannot be a friend, family member, or colleague of the test takers
    • The invigilator must speak fluent English
    • Both the invigilator's phone and email must be provided in the application
    • Documentation may be requested to verify that the person chosen is acceptable

    Acceptable invigilators in Canada and the US

    • University or college test centre administrators
    • University or college professors
    • Public library staff

    Invigilators outside Canada and the US

    Invigilators are accepted from:

    In certain countries where no Embassy or British Council is available, invigilators are accepted from:

    Apply for an off-campus exam

    1. Log in to the Student Service Centre (SSC).
    2. Select "Exam Application" under Exams.
    3. Select your session and courses. Each course requires a separate application.
    4. Select your exam location.
      1. Partner Exam Centre: Select a location from the drop-down menu to write at an off-campus partner centre.
    5. Other location: If you can’t write at a partner exam centre, apply to write at another location.
      • Complete the invigilator information and click "Next". You will still need to arrange a date and time with your invigilator to run the exam after formal exam dates have been released.
    6. You’ll be prompted to pay with VISA, MasterCard, or Interac Online if applicable.
    7. If you're registered with the Centre for Accessibility, you may request an Academic Accommodation letter from the Centre, which you are required to email to
    8. Viewing your exam schedule:
      • If you scheduled an exam at a partner exam centre: Once your exam is scheduled, you will receive an email with the location and time before the exam period.
      • If you're writing your exam in another location: Once formal exam dates are released, contact your invigilator to schedule your exam within 48 hours of the on-campus exam. The date must fall within the SD exam period. Once you have your exam schedule arranged, email for approval. ​​​​​​


    I don’t know the exact name of the person who will invigilate my "Other Location" exam. How do I fill out the exam application?

    The invigilator information in the Exam Application serves as a contact for Enrolment Services. Sometimes exam locations will not release the name of the person who will invigilate your exam on the day of, or the exact invigilator will be determined closer to the exam time.

    In this case, it is sufficient to enter the details of the person at your exam location whom you are corresponding with to arrange your date and time. Examples include a manager or supervisor of a test centre, library director, Canadian Embassy employee, or British Council coordinator. Make sure this person can receive your paper copy exam.

    Will Enrolment Services contact my invigilator before the exam to confirm details?

    No, students taking their exam at a location that is not a UBC partner exam centre are expected to direct their invigilator to contact with questions.

    What if I decide not to write the off-campus exam? Do I get an exam application fee refund?

    In order to receive a refund, you must notify Enrolment Services that you are cancelling your off-campus exam at least 4 weeks before the exam period starts. If you contact Enrolment Services within 4 weeks of the exam period, they can cancel your off-campus exam, but you will not receive a refund for the exam application fee.

    What happens if I am sick on the day of the exam and can not show up to write?

    If you are unable to attend your exam sitting for any unforeseen reason, your exam will be recorded as a “no-show” and returned to your instructor. It will be your responsibility to contact your Faculty Advising Office to apply for a Deferred Standing.

    Additional resources

    If you have questions

    If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Service Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.

    Graduate, postgraduate, and all other students can contact an Enrolment Services Advisor by calling 604 822 9836 or submitting a question through the online form.