Paying tuition

Find out tuition payment options and instructions. To find out your tuition and fee amounts, visit the Student Service Centre (SSC).

Online payment options

Online banking

Set up online banking to pay your UBC tuition and fees like any other bill

To pay with online banking, you'll need a bank account at a Canadian financial institution. Add UBC Tuition as a bill payee and use your student number as the bill's account number.

Please note: Online banking is available for Housing or Meal Plan payments through most banks and credit unions. To do so please add UBC Housing and Meal Plan as a payee. Do not make Housing and Meal Plan payments to the UBC Tuition account.

Payments will take 1-2 business days to process.

Electronic funds transfer (EFT)

Bank transfer and EFT payments debit funds directly from your Canadian bank account

  1. Log in to the Student Service Centre (SSC)
  2. Select Banking Details
  3. Enter and save your bank's institution, transit, and account numbers
  4. Pay your fees by selecting Pay Fees > Bank Transfer

Successful payments will be processed immediately.

Similar to a cheque, bank transfer and EFT payments may be returned by your financial institution due to:

  • Insufficient funds or funds not available
  • Incorrect account details
  • The account doesn't have chequing privileges
  • Closed account

If your payment is returned, the funds will be reversed out of your student account. This may result in your account being placed on financial hold, as well as being charged interest and a $35 insufficient funds penalty.

International Funds Transfer (IFT)

Pay your UBC fees from a foreign bank account, using your own currency

International Funds Transfers, processed through Western Union Business Solutions are secure and efficient and offer the following benefits:

  • Competitive exchange rates
  • No transaction fees from Western Union
  • Locked-in exchange rate for 72 hours, removing much of the uncertainty around the total payment amount
  • No Canadian bank account required

Making a payment

You can use International Funds Transfer to pay your tuition and student, residence and meal plan fees using your own currency from a foreign bank account.

Step 1: Initiate your payment quote online

  1. Log in to the Student Service Centre (SSC)
  2. Navigate to Finances > Pay Fees
  3. Select the fees you would like to pay
  4. Select International Funds Transfer to access the GlobalPay student platform
  5. Confirm items to pay

Step 2: Complete the online form

  1. A pre-populated form will open in a new window
  2. Select the country which you will be sending your payment
  3. Select the fee item(s) you wish to pay
  4. Select your payment currency
  5. Fill out the payment details and bank details
  6. Agree to the Terms of Use
  7. You will receive a payment reference number that will lock in your quoted exchange rate for 72 hours

Step 3: Bank transfer

  1. Print the payment instructions and contact your bank or financial institution (online, phone or in person)
  2. Initiate payment
  3. Your local bank will transfer funds to Western Union, who will send the funds to UBC

Important: You must repeat step 1 to generate a new payment quote for each payment - do not use the payment reference number from a previous transaction for new payments

Step 4: Payment finalized

  • Your student account will be updated after a minimum of 3 business days
  • If your account is not updated after a week, contact Western Union at or toll free at 1.877.218.8829

*If your local currency is not available, please select an alternative currency or CAD option. You will receive all of the benefits listed above including no banking charges from UBC or Western Union Business Solutions, quicker posting of payment to student account, and fully referenced payments.

Interac® Online

Pay with your bank card through the Student Service Centre (SSC)

Interac® Online is available for Canadian accounts at the following institutions:

  • Scotiabank
  • RBC Royal Bank
  • TD Canada Trust

Log on to the Student Service Centre (SSC) and select Finances > Pay Fees > Interac.

  • Interac® Online cannot process debit/credit card hybrids (ex. VISA debit, Mastercard debit, AMEX debit, etc.)

  • Please confirm with your financial institution that your daily Interac® limit will be enough to cover your payment

Successful payments will be processed immediately.

Online credit card payment

Pay with your credit card through the Student Service Centre (SSC)

Log on to the Student Service Centre (SSC) and select Finances > Pay Fees > Credit Card.

  • Credit card payments on SSC cannot process debit/credit card hybrids (ex. VISA debit, Mastercard debit, AMEX debit, etc.)

Please note: Payments for student housing, mandatory meal plans, tuition fees, will have a non-refundable 1.75% convenience fee added to the base payment.

Successful payments will be processed immediately.

Higher Ed Points

Use loyalty points to pay your tuition fees

Higher Ed Points allow you to apply TD and Aeroplan reward points toward your tuition and fees. Sign up with Higher Ed Points and follow the steps for your loyalty program. Once you've completed the transfer, it will take about 3 days for the points to be applied to your student account.

Find detailed information and instructions at

Other payment options

Cash or cheque at any HSBC branch

You don't need to be an HSBC Bank customer to pay your fees at a HSBC branch

You can pay your registration deposit or tuition fees by cheque or cash at any HSBC Bank Canada branch. Bring a Tuition Fee Payment Form with your payment.

HSBC in-person payments take 2 business days to be processed.

  • If you're paying cash, we recommend that you use Canadian dollars. Foreign currencies are accepted, but you'll pay a service fee and it will take 4 - 5 business days for your payment to be applied to your UBC account.
  • If you have an HSBC account, you can pay tuition fees with online banking, or with cash or cheque at the teller. For more information about paying online through your account visit the HSBC website or call 1.888.310.4722.

The nearest HSBC Bank branch to the UBC campus is located at 4480 West 10th Avenue at Sasamat Street. You can find more locations on the HSBC website.

You only need the tuition form only if you're paying at HSBC. You won't be required to submit a copy to UBC.

Banking: in-person or by phone

Set up in-person banking to pay your UBC tuition and fees like any other bill

To pay with in-person or telephone banking, you'll need a bank account at a Canadian financial institution. Some Canadian financial institutions may not accept these payment methods or may charge a transaction fee.

Visit or call your financial institution and provide them with the following information:

  • Your financial institution account information
  • “UBC Tuition Fees” to be added as the bill payee
  • Your student number provided as the bill's account number
  • The total payment amount to be transferred

Please note: Online banking for most banks and credit unions is available for residence and meal plan fees. Visit Housing or Meal Plan payments for details.

Payments will take 1-2 business days to process.

In-person at Enrolment Services

UBC cannot accept cash, cheque, debit, or credit card payments for tuition and student fees at the Enrolment Services Advising Centre in Brock Hall, with a few exceptions.

As there are no equivalent online services, only external award and U.S. dollar cheques will continue to be accepted by in-person payment for tuition and student fees.

US dollar cheques

Pay by US dollar cheques at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall

You can pay your tuition, student fees, and registration deposits in person at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall with a US dollar cheque.

We cannot accept cash or debit payments in person. If you would like to pay by cash or debit, please do so at any local HSBC branch provide your UBC student number as the account number.

Paying by cheque

  • Make sure your cheque is correctly filled out, and that your student number is written on the front of the cheque on the memo line.
  • Fill out a Tuition Fee Payment Form and attach it to your cheque (no post-dated cheques will be accepted).
  • Payments received by cheque at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall will take up to 10 business days to process.
  • Bring your cheque and payment slip to the Enrolment Services counters.

Payment using US dollar cheques will use the daily UBC currency exchange rate. Staff will calculate the appropriate amount of USD at the time of payment.

Tuition waivers

Tuition waivers are employment benefits available to UBC staff and faculty only

Once your tuition waiver is approved by Financial Services, the waiver information will be electronically forwarded to Enrolment Services in Brock Hall in two to three business days. Enrolment Services will then apply the payment to your account.

As the waivers do not cover student fees, please ensure that you make a separate payment for them.

If students/staff/faculty have questions, they can contact the appropriate payroll contact for tuition waivers:

Surname beginning: A – L

Cecilia Chen     604-822-9290

Surname beginning: M – Z

Wentworth Iwasiuk    604-822-8979 

Payroll deduction or fee deferral

For students working as Teaching or Research Assistants at UBC

Payroll deduction and tuition fee deferrals are available to graduate students employed by UBC as Teaching or Research assistants.

You can find detailed information and instructions on how to apply on the Tuition Payroll Deduction/Fee Deferral Application Form.

Scholarships and Passport to Education

UBC scholarship

How to claim your UBC scholarship

If you are a UBC scholarship recipient, most scholarship money will be automatically credited to your student account soon after the due date. As the system knows of any pending awards, you will not be penalized if your fees have not been paid by the due date. However, if your award amount is less than the total amount owed, you must pay the difference by the fee deadline to avoid late charges.

Scholarships do not count towards your registration deposit, so please make sure you pay your deposit in time to register.

Provincial scholarship

How to claim your provincial scholarship

If you're a Provincial Scholarship recipient, you'll need to come to Enrolment Services in Brock Hall starting the first day of classes to get your scholarship voucher stamped. You can then mail the voucher to the Ministry of Education, who will mail you your cheque within 6-8 weeks. Because these scholarships aren't processed through UBC, you'll still be required to pay all of your outstanding fees by the tuition due date.

Passport to Education: for BC students

BC students can use Passport to Education stamps toward their fees

Redeem your Passport to Education stamps to pay for a portion of your fees (BC students only). Bring your Passport to Enrolment Services in Brock Hall for processing. The value of the Passport will be applied toward your tuition fees.

Please bring your Passport one week before tuition is due to allow for processing time.

Please do not send your passport in the mail, as UBC will not accept responsibility for lost passports.

External award cheques

Deposit your award cheque directly to your UBC account

You can deposit your external award cheques in person at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall.

Deposit your award cheque

  • Make sure your cheque is correctly filled out, and that your student number is written on the front of the cheque on the memo line.
  • Payments received by external award cheque at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall will take at least 6-8 weeks to appear on your tuition account.
  • Bring your cheque and payment slip to the Enrolment Services counters.

The currency exchange rate information is available on the UBC Finance website, which is updated daily. Staff will calculate the appropriate amount upon payment.


Sponsorship/Third-party billing

Instructions for individuals and organizations who sponsor students

Some UBC students have a portion of their UBC fees paid by a sponsor such as an Aboriginal community, employer, or government agency. When UBC sends a bill for fees to sponsors this is called "third-party billing."

If you are a sponsored student, Enrolment Services can process tuition and student fee payments directly from your sponsor. 

It is important that you and your sponsor understand what steps you both must take to ensure your fees are paid on your behalf. The student may have fees they are responsible for that are not covered under their sponsorship agreement. It is also important to be aware of what happens if your sponsor changes or withdraws their support.

Detailed information, dates, and instructions are available below:

If you have questions regarding your sponsorship, contact your sponsor directly. If your sponsor needs help with the application form, or they have billing questions, they can contact:

Sponsorship Billing

  • Phone: 604.822.9858
  • Enrolment Services 1874 East Mall Vancouver,  BC Canada V6T 1Z1

Can't find the right payment option?

If none of these payment options work for you, feel free to contact your ESP

Late payment of fees

Your fees must be paid in full by the payment due dates. Otherwise, students may be placed on financial hold, charged a processing fee and charged an interest penalty. The financial hold will be removed when the outstanding balance, including penalties, is paid in full.

Go to late payment of fees

Contact us

Don't have an ESP?

If you don't have an assigned ESP, they're still available to help.