You can pay your UBC tuition and fees from a foreign bank account with a non-Canadian currency; however, you cannot pay for registration deposits using International Funds Transfer.
International Funds Transfers, processed through Western Union Business Solutions, are secure and efficient and offer the following benefits:
- Competitive exchange rates
- No transaction fees from Western Union
- Locked-in exchange rate for 72 hours, removing much of the uncertainty around the total payment amount
- No Canadian bank account required
See the list of accepted currencies from Western Union Business Solutions. If your local currency is not available, please select an alternative currency or CAD option.
Western Union price match
If you find a better quote from your bank to send a payment to UBC than the quote provided by WU® GlobalPay for Students, Western Union will match the total price you have been offered, subject to terms and conditions.
To take advantage of the offer, complete the online form and await further details on uploading documentation.
Making a payment
You can use International Funds Transfer to pay your tuition and student, residence, and meal plan fees using your own currency from a foreign bank account.
Step 1: Initiate your payment quote online
- Log into your Student Service Centre (SSC).
- Select "Pay Fees" under Finances.
- Choose the fees you would like to pay.
- Select "International Funds Transfer" to access the GlobalPay student platform.
- Confirm items to pay.
Do not use the payment reference number from a previous transaction for a new payment. You must repeat step 1 to generate a new payment quote for each payment.
Step 2: Complete the online form
- A pre-populated form will open in a new window.
- Select the country which you will be sending your payment to.
- Select the fee item(s) you wish to pay.
- Select your payment currency.
- Fill out the payment details and bank details.
- You will receive a payment reference number that will lock in your quoted exchange rate for 72 hours.
The "Student Number" field will be automatically filled with a Western Union payment reference number. This is not a field for your UBC student number.
Step 3: Bank transfer
- Print the payment instructions and contact your bank or financial institution online, by phone, or in person.
- Initiate the payment.
- Your local bank will then transfer funds to Western Union, who will then send the funds to UBC.
What happens after?
Once your payment is finalized, your student account will be updated after a minimum of 3 business days.
If your account is not updated after a week, contact Western Union at email@example.com or toll free by phone at 1-877-218-8829.