If you're a UBC Okanagan student, find UBC Okanagan information on late payment of fees.
Late payment of fees
A student may be placed on financial hold as a result of outstanding fees, including tuition and student fees, parking and library fines, and Student Housing and Hospitality Services fees. The financial hold will be removed when the outstanding balance, including penalties, is paid in full.
If you are put on financial hold, you will be blocked from the following registration activities:
- New course registration
- Registering in course waitlists
- Switching course sections
- Viewing your grades summary
- Ordering transcripts
If you're facing an unexpected financial emergency, or have had a significant change to your financial situation, contact an Enrolment Services Advisor to discuss your options and learn how UBC can help.
What happens during a financial hold
If you are placed on hold, you will not be dropped from class automatically and your professors will not be notified; however, the following will happen:
- Your registration will be blocked; however, you will still be able to drop or withdraw from courses before the course change dates.
- A $35.00 processing fee will be assessed.
- You will be assessed financial interest towards the end of every month.
- You will not be able to order transcripts and diplomas.
- UBC Student Housing and Hospitality Services may refuse admission to residences, withdraw residence and dining privileges, and require you to vacate the premises.
- Parking and Access Control may withdraw parking privileges and tow your parked vehicles.
- The Library may withdraw borrowing privileges and electronic access.
- Accounts severely past due will be sent to a collections agency.
Removing a financial hold
The financial hold will be removed when the outstanding balance is paid in full. You can make partial payments until the entire balance has been paid. Try to pay as soon as possible to avoid being charged further interest.
Please remember that the financial hold will only be removed once the payment has been processed by UBC. Payment processing times vary depending on your payment method.
Interest will be charged at a rate of prime plus 6% per annum. Interest is calculated towards the end of each month and charged on all outstanding amounts that are past due.
Anything else in this section notwithstanding and any amounts charged as penalties for the late payment of fees and accounts (including the Interest Penalty and the processing fee) will not exceed 60% per annum.
If you have questions
If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Service Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.