To have an organization sponsor your studies at UBC, they will have to meet the required criteria and apply before the deadline. For any changes to the sponsoring agency or amount sponsored, you will need to submit a new form.
How it works
- Your sponsor must fax a completed application form to Enrolment Services at 604.822.9858 before the deadline
- Once we receive the form, we will update your account and let you know your next steps
- Add your sponsoring agency as an authorized third party on the Student Service Centre (SSC)
Sponsors using US currency: UBC can accept payments in either Canadian or US funds (no other foreign currency is accepted), but all US funds will be converted to Canadian funds using the daily exchange rate provided by the UBC Finance office on the date that UBC processes the payment.
Sponsorship contract dollar limits (if applicable) can only be set in Canadian funds – any foreign currency limits will be converted into Canadian funds. UBC only invoices in Canadian funds.
- After your account is updated, we will defer your registration deposit and add it to the invoice that we send your sponsor. You will not need to pay your registration deposit before you register.
- We will send your sponsor an invoice at the end of the first month of each term: late September and late January for Winter Session Term 1 and 2 courses, and late May and late July for Summer Session courses.
- Your sponsor has one month to pay the invoice. We will send you a copy of the invoice by email, and you will also be able to see each invoice in your Student Service Centre (SSC) message centre.
- Once we receive your sponsor's payment, we will apply it to your tuition and fees and send you an update by email.
- It is your responsibility to pay any tuition and fees that your sponsor elects not to pay by the tuition due date. Check Sponsorship Billing in your Student Service Centre (SSC) account to see what isn't covered by your sponsor. You will be responsible for the payment of any remaining balance by the tuition due date.
- If your sponsor doesn't pay the invoice by the deadline, or if there is an outstanding balance on the portion for which you are responsible, your student file will be placed on financial hold which means you won't be able to make changes to your registration, view grades, or order transcripts. There will also be a $35 fee charged to your account.
Your responsibilities as a student
- Do not delay payment of fees in anticipation of sponsorship. If late payment charges accrue before a contract has been authorized, they will not be reversed. While sponsors typically do not cover late payment penalties, they may agree to do so if the fees are a result of the sponsor sending in a late application.
- Stay up to date on fees for things like extended health and dental coverage that may not be covered by your sponsor. You won't receive a bill if there are charges and you will have to pay these fees or you may be assessed late payment penalties.
- If you have extended health and dental coverage elsewhere, you can opt out of the AMS/GSS plan. If you do not opt out before the deadline you will be responsible for these fees.
- If your sponsor requires more information (such as transcripts), you are responsible for providing it to them.