Individual Tax Number (ITN)

What is an ITN?

An Individual Tax Number (ITN) is a unique number that Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) uses to identify you for tax purposes if you aren't eligible for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

If you are an international student who is not eligible for a SIN, you need to get an ITN if:

  • You received a scholarship or award from UBC.
    You must enter a SIN or ITN into your Student Service Centre (SSC) by January so UBC can issue your T4A tax forms.
  • You want to file a tax return.
    As an international student now living in Canada, you may need to file a tax return depending on your situation.

Applying for an ITN

If you are not eligible for a SIN, follow step-by-step instructions to apply for your ITN.

Make sure you apply early, as it can take up to 8 weeks to process your application. If you receive an award, or are planning to file Canadian taxes, you should apply as soon as you arrive in Canada.

If you have questions

For questions about the ITN, call the Sudbury Tax Centre:

  • Call 1.866.223.4403 if you're in Canada or the United States.
  • Call 705.669.5130 if you're outside Canada and the United States. They accept collect calls.

Contact International Student Advising for questions related to immigration, health insurance, and life as an international student in Canada.

Additional resources