Access your student tax forms on the Student Service Centre.

Tax years and academic years

Tax forms are issued for the previous tax year, which spans from January to December. As the academic year runs from September to August, your tax form will include amounts from terms spanning two academic years.

For example, in 2019, you will receive tax forms for the 2018 tax year.

2018 tax year includes:

  • 2017 Winter Term 2 (2018 January - April)
  • 2018 Summer Term 1 (2018 May - June)
  • 2018 Summer Term 2 (2018 July - August)
  • 2018 Winter Term 1 (2018 September - December)

Tax forms

UBC issues the following tax forms on the Student Service Centre (SSC) in mid February. 


A tax receipt issued to students for tuition and fees paid toward courses eligible for income tax reporting purpose in the previous tax year.  The number of months enrolled at UBC in full time or part time studies is also included on the tax receipt.

Consult with the CRA Income Tax folio on Qualifying Student and Education Tax Credit for further guidance on how to use T2202A for your tax return.  You may also choose to consult with a tax professional if necessary.  See free resources below.


If you have received a bursary, scholarship, award, Teacher Certificate, Passport to Education or Faculty/Staff Tuition Fee Waiver as a dependant, then you will be issued a T4A. The amount on your T4A shows the total funding you received in the tax year, which may not equal the total you received for the academic year.

Will I have to pay tax on my funding?

In most cases, getting a T4A form does not mean that you'll have to pay tax on the funding you received. While UBC is required to report awards or funding to the Canada Revenue Agency and issue a T4A form, students are not required to report T4A amounts as long they are also claiming an educational amount, as in the T2202A. 

You will be able to find T4A forms back to 2009 the SSC. If you need a T4A from before 2009, please contact Enrolment Services.

Note: If you were employed by UBC on a co-op work term, as a TA or RA, or any other position (such as work-learn), you'll receive a T4 tax form on the UBC HR's self-serve website.


If you are filing taxes in the U.S. you may be asked to produce the Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, used for qualified tuition and related expenses paid during the tax year. UBC is an eligible educational institution because of participation in the US Direct Loan Program.

UBC does not issue the Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement. As a Canadian institution, UBC only provides Canadian federal (T2202A) tax receipts.

Claiming tuition and related expenses without a 1098-T

For the most up to date information on claiming tuition and related expenses without a 1098-T go to Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

Get help filing taxes

Contact us