How to extend your BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

Get helpful tips for extending your BC Medical Services Plan (MSP).

When to apply After you get or renew a study/work permit (ideally, before your MSP expires)
Cost The application to extend is free. You will continue to be charged MSP fees. See the section on implied status below.
Processing time About 4 weeks

Online (recommended)

Supporting documents (additional documents may be needed)

International students: Copy of new valid study permit OR work permit (e.g. Post-graduation or spouse/partner work permit) If you were on implied status, see below for additional documents.

Family members: Copy of new visitor record, study permit or spouse/partner work permit

Additional documents may be needed

How having implied status impacts your coverage

If you have implied status, your BC MSP will end on the expiry date of your current immigration document and will not be activated until you provide BC MSP with proof of your new immigration document (i.e. a copy of your study permit or post-graduation work permit). 

Request continuous coverage

You can request continuous coverage and a reinstatement of your BC MSP by uploading the following documents along with the copy of your new immigration document on the online application portal:

  1. A letter written by yourself explaining your status and your request for continuing coverage, such as “I would like to request continuous coverage of BC MSP as I applied to extend my immigration documents before my BC MSP and immigration status expired”, and
  2. Copy of the IRCC PDF submission confirmation confirming that they received your application (available in your MyCIC account)

Requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Within 1-2  business days after submitting your documents online, call BC MSP to check on your request for continuous coverage of MSP. 

If approved for continuous coverage, you will be requested to pay for the monthly health-care fees for the months in which you held implied status and any medical expenses incurred during your implied status may be eligible for reimbursement only up the fees that BC MSP will normally pay for.

If there is a gap in your BC MSP coverage during your implied status period, you are strongly recommended to obtain temporary private insurance such as the Global Campus Health Plan to cover you during the period until BC MSP is reinstated.

Depending on the length of the gap in your BC MSP coverage, you may need to re-apply for BC MSP when you obtain your valid permit and go through the approximately 3-month waiting period again, during which time you must obtain temporary private insurance.

For more information, contact BC MSP.

Tips for the process

Once your coverage begins

  • MSP will send you an invoice in the mail. You need to start making payments after receiving the invoice.
  • Remember to tell MSP if you change your address, change your name, leave BC permanently, or need to add/remove dependents to or from your coverage (e.g. you get married, divorced, have a common-law partner, or have children). See the Managing your MSP Account page.
  • Remember to keep your MSP valid by renewing your MSP coverage each time you extend your temporary residency in Canada (for example, when you extend your study permit or get a post-graduation work permit). Be sure to read the “how having implied status affects your coverage” if this applies to you. 

Maintain your eligibility

Generally, your BC Services Card has the same expiry date as your status in Canada, such as the expiry date of your study permit or post-graduation work permit. If you have to extend your immigration documents, make sure you extend your MSP coverage as well.

MSP coverage while traveling

If you’re leaving BC temporarily due to a co-op placement or travel plans, you will continue being billed for your health-care coverage fee. 

Before leaving BC

You must call MSP to discuss how your coverage could be impacted by travel plans. 

While away from BC

You can use the travel insurance included in your AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan only if covered by MSP (or other equivalent basic coverage such as private basic health insurance) when you are travelling. Make sure you understand MSP’s residency requirements.

  1. Although MSP provides only limited coverage when you travel internationally, your AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan does provide coverage. To use the travel insurance in your AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan, you must also have basic insurance such as MSP or an equivalent.
  2. The AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan does not cover travel to your home country.
  3. If you paid the MED/DENT fee (view your financial summary on the SSC) when you began your studies in September or January, you have the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan. This plan is valid until August 31.
  4. For more information, talk to the staff in the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan office or visit their website.
Upon return to BC
  1. You must call MSP when you return to BC to find out about your coverage. 
  2. If you must re-apply and go through the 3-month waiting period for MSP again, be sure to obtain temporary private health insurance such as the Global Campus Health Plan to cover you during the period until BC MSP is reinstated.

Related topics