Find out what documents you need to study in Canada.

Immigration documents you need to study at UBC

There are three main categories of people in Canada: citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents. International students, foreign workers, and visitors are all temporary residents.

As an international student, there are a number of documents you need to study in Canada. You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and complying with immigration regulations while you're here.

Most international students at UBC require:

  • Passport: Applications can take up to 3 months, so apply as soon as possible   
  • Study permit: All international students in programs longer than 6 months need a valid study permit
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Documentation for your family: If your family is coming with you to Canada, make sure they have the immigration documentation they need. 

International students coming from Canadian high schools: You must get a new study permit before starting at UBC. You can do this by applying for your study permit online.

Transfer students from a Canadian college or university: If you already have a valid study permit for post-secondary study and have not completed a program in Canada, you can use it to study at UBC. You simply need to change your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) online.

Maintaining your documents

You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and obeying immigration regulations during your stay in Canada.

Immigration document reminder system

You can enter the expiration dates for your primary documents (passport, study permit, TRV, etc.) in the Immigration Document Reminder System on the SSC to plan to renew your documents and stay in Canada without interrupting your studies.

Amending your immigration documents

If your study permit, work permit, or temporary resident visa (TRV) have any mistakes (for example, your name or date of birth are incorrect), you must contact IRCC and request to amend your documents.

If your documents are lost or stolen

  • If your passport is lost or stolen, you must replace it immediately. You must have a new passport before replacing any Canadian permits or applying for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), if you had one. 
  • If your other documents, such as study or work permits, are lost or stolen, you must request a replacement from IRCC.
    • Follow instructions on the IRCC website and submit your application with proof of payment of the $30 processing fee.
    • You may continue studying and/or working while your documents are being replaced.
    • You should not leave Canada until you receive your replacement study or work permit.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide

If you have questions

You can connect with International Student Advising for questions related to immigration, health insurance, and life as an international student in Canada.