Inviting friends and family to visit

Citizens of certain countries require a Temporary Resident Visa to visit you during your time at UBC.

Important: Before you invite a friend or family member

When you invite a friend or family member to visit you in Canada, remember: citizens of certain countries require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

If a valid TRV is required, you should send your friend/family member supporting documents. They need to include these documents in their TRV application. People who do not require a TRV may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada and should bring supporting documents with them as well. US citizens and lawful permanent residents of the US do not require a TRV or eTA.

Some Canadian visa offices have additional requirements. Go to the IRCC website and select your country/territory from the drop-down menu (located in the "Apply on paper" section). Click "Get documents" and then select "Visa office instructions" (the second link). This will launch a PDF specifying requirements for your visa office. Confirm if additional documents are needed and if the application procedure is different. If applying online:

  • To avoid delays or rejection, they will need to submit the required documents listed on the "Your document checklist" page in their MyCIC account plus any visa office-specific documents with their application.
  • Merge all visa office-specific documents into one file (such as a PDF) and upload the file in the "Client Information" section under "Optional Documents" in the online checklist.

Please note that International Student Advising can only support international students and their spouses, common-law partners, and children. Use this tutorial for guidance on how to hire an authorized immigration representative, if needed.

Suggested supporting documents

  • Copy of applicable documents proving your status in Canada, such as:
    • A study permit, or
    • Post-graduation work permit, or
    • Permanent resident card, or
    • Proof of Canadian citizenship
    • Your document(s) should be valid for the length of your family members’ stay in Canada. If you recently completed your program requirements but do not have a post-graduation work permit, you may send a copy of your study permit and an official letter of completion. If you have applied for a post-graduation work permit online but do not have it yet, send a copy of the Letter of Confirmation that IRCC sends when they receive the application.
  • Copy of your passport
  • Letter of invitation written by you (see template below)
    • Write the letter of invitation yourself. Visit this site for tips. Some visa offices may require that your letter be notarized by a Notary Public. Check online for the specific Canadian visa office requirements. To find a notary, visit the BC Notaries website
  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if you're inviting your spouse)
  • Additional information about your status in Canada
  • An official UBC enrolment letter (for current students)
    • Download this letter from the Student Service Centre (SSC) under Grades and Records > Proof of Enrolment Letter
    • If you have unusual circumstances (such as you need additional time to complete your program, your Letter of Enrolment does not specify your estimated completion date, or you are applying in the summer before you can register for winter courses), you can request a Customized Enrolment Letter from your academic advisor or department staff stating your program, your status as a student, and your expected date of program completion. Submit this in addition to a letter of enrolment.
  • A letter from your employer confirming your job (for post-graduation work permit holders)
  • Proof of your available funds (if you are paying for their visit)

In addition, your friends/family must provide proof of economic and social ties to their home country. The stronger the ties, the higher the chance of successfully proving they will leave Canada after their visit.

  • Examples of economic ties include bank statements, proof of financial investments, a letter of employment, and/or proof of property ownership, etc.
  • Examples of social ties include evidence that family members back home depend on them for financial/other support, proof that they must return home after their visit to Canada in order to meet their social obligations to their family members or community, etc.

Sample letter of invitation

The Canadian Embassy, Immigration Section January 23, 2020
22 Kenyatta Drive
Nairobi, Kenya

Dear Visa Officer,

Re: Letter of invitation for my parents (Jumanne and Miriam Muindi)

I am writing this letter to support the Temporary Resident Visa application of my parents, Jumanne Kafaka Muindi (father) and Miriam Jumanne Muindi (mother). My father and mother’s dates of birth are March 2, 1953 and Jan 12, 1956 respectively. My parents currently reside in Nairobi, Kenya at Plot Number 44 Moi Avenue. Their phone number is +254 752 455786.

Note the above paragraph includes:

  • Invitees’ complete names
  • Their dates of birth
  • Relationship to you
  • Current address and telephone number

I am an international student in my fourth year in the Faculty of Science at the University of British Columbia (copy of study permit and UBC enrolment letter attached). My date of birth is February 11, 1989 and I currently reside at 2204 Halifax Street, Burnaby, B.C., V3J 1A4. My telephone number is +16047789922 and my email address is

Note the above paragraph includes:

  • Your complete name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your status in Canada (permanent resident, international student, citizen, etc.)
  • Occupation
  • Current address and telephone number/email address

My convocation ceremony will be taking place on June 23, 2024. I wish to invite my parents to Canada to celebrate this important milestone of success in my life with me. My parents intend to stay in Canada for three weeks from June 16 to July 7 and will leave Canada on July 8. While in Canada, my parents will stay with me at my current residence and I will cover all their living costs (housing and food) during this period; flight costs will be covered by them.

Note the above paragraph includes:

  • Purpose of visit
  • Duration of visit
  • Date leaving Canada
  • Details of Accommodation
  • Living Expenses

Should you require any further information about me or my parents, please feel free to contact me. Thank you in advance for considering my parents’ application.

Yours truly,
Lolus Jumanne Muindi

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide

Additional resources