Restoration of status

About restoration of status

If your temporary status in Canada (e.g. your study permit) has expired and you did not apply for an extension before the expiry date, you must apply to restore your status within 90 days of the expiry date if you want to stay in Canada. This process is known as restoration of status. See this site for more information on restoration.

Who can apply

You may apply if:

  • You lost your temporary resident status (e.g. as a student) because you remained in Canada longer than the period authorized for your stay, but not longer than 90 days
  • You continue to meet the initial requirements for your stay and have not failed to comply with any other conditions imposed

You may stay in Canada after you apply for restoration, but you are not allowed to study or work in Canada until your application for restoration has been approved.

How to apply

  1. Apply for restoration and an extension of your study permit online
  2. Pay the $150.00 CAD study permit extension fee and the $200.00 CAD restoration fee 
  3. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances

You can only apply for restoration from within Canada.

It is up to IRCC to decide if your student status can be restored. 

Processing times vary, but restoration can take several months. In rare circumstances and for citizens of certain countries, leaving Canada and re-applying for a new permit might be a quicker option than applying for restoration of status. Consult with an International Student Advisor before taking such a step.

For more information, contact IRCC directly or seek the advice of an authorized immigration representative.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide