Extend your study permit

If you're planning to study in Canada past your study permit's expiry, you have to renew it before it expires. Study permits can only be renewed in Canada.

Instructions and tips on how to apply

After you extend your study permit

If your permit expires after IRCC receives your application

If your study or work permit expires after Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application to extend your permit, you will still be considered a temporary resident of Canada until a decision about your application is made. This is known as "implied status".

With implied status, you may continue studying and working in Canada (if eligible to work) until you receive a response from IRCC as long as you meet the conditions of your study permit while you remain in Canada.

If you leave Canada with implied status, you may re-enter, provided that you have valid TRV from a TRV-exempt country or have a TRV exemption under R190(3)(f). (Temporary residents – including students – from TRV-required countries who have implied status and are seeking re-entry to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon are still considered to be TRV exempt). In this case, however, you may not resume study and work until your application for renewal is granted.


We strongly recommend that, when you re-enter Canada at the border (port of entry), you present documentary proof of your application, such as a:

  • Copy of your application
  • Copy of the fee payment receipt
  • A copy of the confirmation sent by the IRCC
  • Etc.

If your study permit expires and you haven't applied for an extension

If your permit expires before Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) receives your extension application, you will be “out of status”.

What to do if you are out of status

  1. You must stop studying and working immediately.
    • You are not authorized to attend classes or work while you are out of status.
  2. See an International Student Advisor at International House.
    • You have 90 days from the day you went out of status to apply for restoration.
    • An International Student Advisor should review your application before you submit it.
  3. Get a new study permit. You have two options, both of which are expensive and will disrupt your studies:
    • You can apply to restore your immigration status.
    • If you have not applied to extend your study permit and it expired more than 90 days ago, you will have to apply outside Canada for a new study permit. You may also be barred from applying for another study permit for up to 6 months.

How to apply for restoration of status

You need to apply to extend your expired study permit for a standard fee of $150 as well as an additional restoration fee of $200.

You can only apply for restoration from within Canada, and you must not leave the country until you obtain your new permit.

Your study permit restoration application must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that led to your loss of status. IRCC will decide if your student status can be restored. Processing times vary, but restoration can take several months. There is no guarantee that your application for restoration will be approved.

Read more about restoration of status.

Contact us

International Student Development

Talk to an advisor

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help.

When emailing us, include the following information in the email:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your name
  3. Your citizenship(s)
  4. All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  5. Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  6. If you request specific assistance, please provide detailed information including applicable documents, such as a rejection letter
International House
1783 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2

Drop-in advising

Mon1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Tue1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Wed1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Thu1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Fri1:00 pm - 4:00 pm