Chabad Jewish Student Centre - Vancouver serves the Jewish student population at UBC, SFU and local community colleges.
We strive to create a "home away from home" for all Jews on campus, a place where Jews of all backgrounds can find community, resources, a smorgasbord of Jewish events and rich opportunities for celebration and study. We want to ensure that all Jewish students graduate as stronger, more empowered Jews.
Our vision for Chabad is a vibrant student centre that offers a compelling, rich and meaningful Jewish experience to all who come in contact with it.
The values that lie at the heart of The Chabad Jewish Student Centre are embodied in Torah and Jewish tradition. These values are:
- The welcoming of every Jew
- Creating a sense of belonging
- Jewish learning
- Spiritual growth and practice
The Chabad Jewish Student Centre is based on the ideology of Chabad and fueled by the inspiration and teachings of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem M. Schneerson , which have at their foundation the encompassing mitzvah “to love every Jew as one loves himself” and the mandate to concretize that love with Acts of Kindness and Mitzvahs. It's our belief that every individual Jew has an indispensable contribution to make to the totality of the Jewish people. Chabad welcomes all Jews at their own pace and comfort level through innovative educational programs in all areas of Jewish life.
Who we are
- A home away from home where all are welcome no matter background or affiliation.
- A place where every Jew is family.
- An organization at UBC and SFU that provides religious, educational, social, and recreational programming for the community of Jewish students.
- A place where students socialize in a comfortable home-like setting with great friends, superb food and stimulating discussions.
- A forum where you can question your faith and not be afraid of judgment.
- A haven to which you can turn when you're stressed or lonely and need a true friend. The doors are open 24/7 and the staff sport open minds and wide hearts.
- A center for prayer and study, where you can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of your Jewish heritage.
- A partnership between students and staff to help create cutting edge programming, plan social action projects and offer volunteer opportunities.
- An academy providing texts and teachers for those who seek to learn.
- An environment where being Jewish is fun.
- An organization that has gained national prominence as one of the fastest growing and most vibrant, innovative and all-inclusive organizations for Jewish college students in this country. Through all its growth and changes, Chabad's warmth and intimacy remain the same. At Chabad you will always find a friend.