External Awards

About the awards

External awards are administered to students by external agencies and organizations outside of and not related to UBC.

You may be eligible for an external award from:

  • The Provincial Government, through British Columbia provincial scholarships
  • Your parents’ association with an employer, union, or club
  • Organizations that are looking to assist students studying in a specific field

UBC encourages students to seek out external awards to further fund their studies. There may be additional external award opportunities available to students in specific faculties. Connect with your faculty’s academic advising office for more information.

UBC and external awards

UBC does not list external awards offered by corporations or individuals to promote business interest on this site. All awards listed on this page are offered by charities or non-profit organizations.

If any awards on this page are found to demonstrate conflict or violation of human rights, equity and inclusion, they will be removed. UBC is not liable or responsible in any way for the use of private and personal information provided by you to the external agencies. UBC reserves the right to remove postings at its discretion.

If you've won an external award

Cheques can be made payable to UBC and sent to the Development and Alumni Engagement Office (DAE) for processing. Funds will be assigned to your student tuition account after the cheque has been deposited and cleared by DAE. The process could take 4 to 6 weeks from the day DAE receives the funds. DAE’s address can be found on the External Award Checklist (pdf). If you have questions, email DAE at info@give.ubc.ca.

If your external award cheque is not in Canadian dollars, UBC will deposit the cheque using the currency exchange rate of the day it is processed and not necessarily the day it is received by UBC.

To ensure DAE has the proper information to deposit the cheque, it is important to provide the external organization with:

Accepting the award

After the cheque is processed, you will receive an email notification to log into your Student Service Centre (SSC) to accept the external award. Ensure you have direct deposit set up prior to accepting the award.

Additional requirements from external organization

Some external organizations may require a Proof of Enrolment letter and the cost of your tuition before funding is sent to UBC. You can find your Proof of Enrolment from the Student Service Centre (SSC) under Grades and Records. You can find the cost of your tuition by selecting “Tuition History” under Finances. Also, ask the external organization to complete and attach the External Award Checklist (pdf) when sending the funds to UBC.

Your responsibility as a student

It is important that you are aware of the terms and conditions from the external agency to keep the award funding. If you do not fulfill the external agency’s requirements at any point in the school year, you must contact the external agency to arrange for possible repayment. UBC will not act as the mediator between you and the external agency.

List of external awards

The links below provide external award information at no charge, and does not indicate UBC’s endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation of the external agencies’ ideals or mission.     

Information for external organizations

  • If you are interested in having your award posted on this page, please consult the posting guidelines (pdf) before contacting UBC External Awards at external.award@ubc.ca.
  • If your award does not fall within the posting guidelines, consider contacting UBC Development and Alumni Engagement to set up a permanent award for UBC students.
  • If the documentation attached to the funding received by UBC does not specify who will issue the T4A tax form to the student, UBC will issue the T4A by default.

If you have questions

For information related to the administration of external awards, please contact the external organization. Reach out to the external agency first for questions about incoming funding to UBC, before contacting your Enrolment Services Advisor.