Faculty recommended awards

About the awards

After your first year of study, you are still eligible for many awards offered by the University to support undergraduate students, thanks to the generosity of external donors and UBC faculties. These may be awarded in the form of scholarships, prizes, fellowships and other awards.

Individual faculties are responsible for recommending their students for these awards. Recommendations are based on a range of factors, such as academic achievement, leadership, UBC involvement, and participation on varsity athletic teams.

Types of faculty recommended awards


Scholarships are awarded at the beginning of the academic year for academic achievement. They are based on grades and achievements from the previous Winter session but can also include non-academic factors such as leadership, UBC or faculty involvement, and other criteria.


Prizes are awarded at the end of the academic year for academic achievement. Criteria for many prizes can include achievement in a particular course or program, leadership, participation, or work on a project.

Prizes may be financial awards, books, or medals.

Academic awards

Academic awards are given out either at the beginning or end of the academic year and are based on academic achievement.

Non-academic or service awards

Non-academic or service awards recognize achievement or participation in athletics, leadership, UBC or community involvement and other rewarding pursuits. They do not appear on transcripts.

How to apply

The majority of faculty recommended awards do not require an application and students are automatically considered for any awards for which they are eligible.

Some faculties do require applications. Contact your faculty’s scholarship representative or check your faculty website to find out more.

Search for awards

How will I know if I have been offered an award?

If you're offered an award, we will email you with information on how to accept your offer. We will also update your Student Service Centre (SSC) account, in "Awards & Financial Assistance" under Finances.

If you have questions

If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Services Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.  

Graduate, postgraduate, and all other students can contact an Enrolment Services Advisor by calling 604 822 9836 or submit your question through the online form.