Bursaries totaling $4,200 have been made available through an endowment established by Dr. John R. Scarfo for students who have demonstrated financial need and are committed to a healthy lifestyle. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to good health and wellbeing, such as precluding the use of tobacco and illicit drugs.
John R. Scarfo Wellness Bursary
About the bursary
Am I eligible?
To be eligible to apply for this bursary, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be considered a full-time student
- Meet the terms for awards eligibility set out in UBC's Regulations Governing University Awards
- Demonstrate financial need for bursaries, and apply for the UBC Bursary
- Demonstrate a commitment to health and wellness in your daily life. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle and articulate a clear vision for what this means
- Demonstrate one or more of the multiple dimensions of healthy living: social, environmental, mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual
- Identify the damaging effects of the use of tobacco or illicit drugs on an individual’s or the general public’s health and wellbeing
- Model healthy living and provide leadership in wellbeing promotion
How to apply
August 15, 2019 – September 16, 2019 (11:59 PM PST)
Before you apply
Before you apply for this bursary, make sure you know what information and documents you'll need to submit. You'll find detailed instructions on the application form as well.
- Meet all eligibility criteria for John R. Scarfo Wellness Bursary
- Demonstrate a calculated unmet financial need by meeting the eligibility requirements for the UBC Bursary program and submitting an application no later than September 15, 2019
- Prepare a Personal Statement to upload (max 500 words, Word or PDF)
Personal Statement (max 500 words)
An important part of this application is being able to articulate to the selection committee the extent of your personal commitment to health and wellness.
Your Personal Statement should define what health and wellness means to you and how you strive to lead a healthy lifestyle as it pertains to your social, environmental, emotional, physical, or spiritual wellbeing. This can include personal commitments, leadership roles, promotion activities, clubs, academic projects and/or research, sports/active engagement, volunteer and/or work experiences, as well as your goals for the future. Your statement should articulate how you work towards integrating your belief system in your own life and the lives of others.