Bursaries totalling $8,000 have been made available through an endowment established by Dr. John R. Scarfo for students who have demonstrated financial need and are committed to a healthy lifestyle. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to good health and wellbeing, such as precluding the use of tobacco and illicit drugs. Dr. Scarfo came from a family with twelve children and would not have been able to receive his MD at UBC without the generosity of Dean Walter Gage. Having been the recipient of the generosity of others, Dr. Scarfo wishes to support UBC students and honour those who had supported him. These bursaries will be adjudicated by Enrolment Services.
John R. Scarfo Wellness Bursary
About the bursary
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be considered a full-time student
- Meet the terms for awards eligibility set out in UBC's Regulations Governing University Awards
- Demonstrate unmet financial need
- Meet the eligibility requirements and submit an application to the UBC Bursary Program by September 15, 2020
- Demonstrate a commitment to health and wellness in your daily life. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle and articulate a clear vision for what this means
- Demonstrate one or more of the multiple dimensions of healthy living: social, environmental, mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual
- Identify the damaging effects of the use of tobacco or illicit drugs on an individual’s or the general public’s health and wellbeing
- Model healthy living and provide leadership in wellbeing promotion
How to apply
August 17, 2020 – September 15, 2020 (11:59 pm PST)
Before you apply
Make sure you know what information and documents you'll need to submit. You'll find detailed instructions on the application form as well.
- Meet all eligibility criteria for John R. Scarfo Wellness Bursary
- Demonstrate a calculated unmet financial need
- Meeting the eligibility requirements and submitting an application to the UBC Bursary Program by September 15, 2020
- Prepare a Personal Statement (max 500 words) to upload (as a Word document or PDF)
Personal Statement (max 500 words)
An important part of this application is being able to communicate your personal commitment to health and wellness to the selection committee.
Your Personal Statement should define what health and wellness means to you and how you strive to lead a healthy lifestyle as it relates to your social, environmental, emotional, physical, or spiritual wellbeing. Your statement can include personal commitments, leadership roles, promotion activities, clubs, academic projects and/or research, sports/active engagement, volunteer and/or work experiences, as well as your goals for the future.
Your statement should articulate how you work towards integrating your belief system in your own life and the lives of others.
If you have questions
Please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. If you do not have an assigned advisor, they are still available to help.