The UBC Bursary program is designed to help fill the gap between your assessed educational and living costs, and your available government assistance and expected financial contributions.
The bursary program follows the framework set out by StudentAid BC to provide eligible domestic students access to the financial resources they need to meet their needs.
The bursary application collects information such as family income and size to ensure that the greatest possible number of students receive financial support.
Being eligible for a bursary does not guarantee that you will receive the full amount of funding to cover all costs.
How we determine funding amounts
A defined set of criteria is followed to determine the amount of funding you can receive.
For JD, DMD, MD, PHRMD, and BEd (11month)
- The unmet financial need of other students
- The total number of bursary applicants for your program
- Available funding from departments/faculties specifically allocated to your program
For Designated Graduate programs
- Your department or faculty will provide bursary funding if you are in designated graduate programs
- Eligibility and bursary amounts depend on funds your department/faculty can provide
For all other programs
- Your individual student loan needs assessment, which is determined by your provincial lender
- Your program's eligibility for UBC Bursary funding
- Your family size and prior year’s total family income