Student Housing Supplement Grant

About the grant

The UBC Vancouver Student Housing Supplement Grant provides one-time additional funding of up to $2,200 to support living costs for students starting their first winter session at UBC and living in UBC-managed housing designated for first-year students. This program is meant to support students who wish to attend UBC and participate in the residence experience.

Eligibility requirements

You must meet all of the following requirements to be eligible for the grant: 

  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are starting your studies at UBC by September 2022.
  • You will be living in UBC-managed housing designated for first-year students with a mandatory meal plan for the duration of Winter Session. If your stay in UBC Housing is less than the duration of Winter Session, you may be ineligible for the grant or eligible for a certain amount. This may affect your student account and result in fees owing.
  • You have received full-year Canadian government student loans, confirmed by September 15, 2022.
  • You must maintain loan eligibility during the 2022 Winter session or during your stay in UBC Housing.
  • You have received the maximum Canada Student Grant for full-time students.
  • You have not been awarded the Student Housing Assistance Grant.
  • You will be enrolled full-time in a degree or eligible program. You are not eligible if you are enrolled in Certificate Programs, Diploma Programs, and other Non-Degree Studies categories, including Unclassified, Visiting, Qualifying, and Access Studies.

How to apply

No application is required. All eligible students will be automatically considered for the grant. 

Successful recipients will be notified by email by the end of January. Funds will be disbursed via cheque or direct deposit.

Financial review and audit

All eligible students may be subject to financial review and audits. If you are selected for a financial review or audit, you may be asked to provide additional supporting documents, such as:

  • Housing rental agreement and payment receipt
  • Bank statements for you, your parents, and/or your dependents
  • Tax returns, child care receipts, and other similar documents demonstrating financial need

If you’re unable to provide the requested documents in a timely manner, you may no longer be eligible for the grant.

Additional resources

If you have questions

If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Service Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.

Graduate, postgraduate, and all other students can contact an Enrolment Services Advisor by calling 604 822 9836 or submitting a question through the online form.