The UBC Vancouver Student Housing Supplement Grant is a one-time grant of up to $2,700 that supports living costs for students starting their first winter session at UBC. To be eligible, you must be living in UBC-managed housing designated for first-year students. The program is meant to support students who wish to attend UBC and participate in the residence experience.
Student Housing Supplement Grant
About the grant
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You are starting your studies at UBC by September 2023.
- You will be living in UBC-managed housing designated for first-year students with a mandatory meal plan for the duration of Winter Session. If your stay in UBC Housing is less than the duration of Winter Session, you may be ineligible for the grant or eligible for only a certain amount. This may affect your student account and you will have to pay the remainder of the housing costs.
- You have received full-year Canadian government student loans, confirmed by September 15, 2023.
- You must maintain your eligibility for loans during the 2023/24 Winter session or throughout your stay in UBC Housing.
- You have received the maximum Canada Student Grant for full-time students.
- You have not been awarded the Student Housing Assistance Grant.
- You will be enrolled full-time in a degree or eligible program. You are not eligible if you are enrolled in Certificate Programs, Diploma Programs, and/or Non-Degree Studies, including Unclassified, Visiting, Qualifying, and Access Studies.
How to apply
No application is required. All eligible students will be automatically considered for the grant.
Successful recipients will be notified by email by the end of January. Funds will be sent by direct deposit.
Financial review and audit
All eligible students may be subject to financial review and audits. If you are selected for a financial review or audit, you may be asked to provide additional supporting documents, such as the following:
- Housing rental agreement and payment receipt
- Bank statements for you, your parents, and/or your dependents
- Tax returns, child care receipts, and other similar documents demonstrating financial need
If you’re unable to provide the requested documents in a timely manner, you may no longer be eligible for the grant.
If you have questions
If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Service Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.