Third-party authorization

Your student information

Your records and information at UBC are protected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). This means that information you provide to UBC and information UBC has on file about your academic progress is not available to anybody other than you. Your parents, sponsors, supporters, or companies confirming your enrolment do not have access to this data.

If you want to give someone access to this information, you can grant third-party authorization.

Adding third-party authorization

If needed, you can grant another person permission to access specific information on your record or to pick up your documents on your behalf. The third party will not be able to make changes to your record or take action on your behalf. Where possible, it is best practice to manage your own records.

Learn how to add your third-party authorization in Workday.

2024 Summer Session students

If you’re taking Summer Session courses, you will need to add your third-party authorization in your Student Service Centre (SSC) in addition to Workday.

Follow the instructions to add a third-party authorization in the SSC:

  1. Log into your Student Service Centre (SSC).

  2. Select "Third-Party Authorizations" under Personal Info.

  3. Select "Add a New Contact" and enter your third party's contact information and relationship to you.

  4. Under Area, select the area(s) of your record to share with your third party or select "Document Pick-up".

You must provide your third party with your student number and the authorization code you assigned to them. UBC services will require both before releasing any protected information.

Types of third-party authorization

Below are the kinds of documentation you might choose to share with a third party.

  • Admission information
    Information related to your application for admission to UBC, including application content and status, documentation, and transcripts
  • Student Housing information
    Residence fee and room assignment information
  • Medical information
    Information about medical documentation submitted to UBC, such as doctor's notes. Medical information does not include information held by UBC Student Health Services or UBC Counselling Services, which are especially sensitive. You will need to get a separate authorization for these services
  • Academic record information
    Information about your academic record including biographical details, registration, grades, academic standing, timetable, tuition and fees, degree and enrolment confirmation
  • Financial Assistance and Awards
    Information about your financial assistance and award status including student loans, bursaries, scholarships and financial need. Registration, grades, fees and admission status may also be released, if applicable.
  • Document pick up
    The release of documents related to your application, admission, registration, academic record, and financial assistance and awards at UBC. Documents that require payment, such as transcripts or replacement diplomas, must be ordered by the student through the student information system before the third party picks it up. Documents cannot be ordered in person by the third party.