iMED coverage dates are based on the type and duration of your study program. iMED covers your first 3 months in Canada to cover the 3-month MSP waiting period, or the full duration of your program of studies if you are a one-term exchange student or Visiting International Research Student (VIRS).
Check your iMED coverage dates on your iMED card. Depending on when you arrive in Canada, you might need to change your coverage dates - see the next section for details.
Depending on when you arrive in Canada, you might need to take action to add to or change your iMED coverage dates.
You may also be covered while travelling from your home country or primary place of residence to Canada if your travel itinerary is 10 days or less, and if your arrival date in Canada is not earlier than the earliest iMED coverage start date available for the first term of your UBC program.
iMED will cover you for your first 3 months in Canada. Your coverage dates depend on when you start your program:
- Winter Term 1 (September to December): your coverage will start on August 1
- Winter Term 2 (January to April): your coverage will start on December 1
- Summer Term 1 (May to June): your coverage will start on April 1
- Summer Term 2 (July to August): your coverage will start on June 1
iMED is designed to cover you for the waiting period before you become eligible for the British Columbia-government run Medical Services Plan (MSP), up to a maximum of 3 months. The MSP waiting period includes the remainder of the month you arrive in BC, plus the next 2 calendar months. For example, if you were to arrive in BC on August 25, you would be eligible for MSP on November 1.
One-term exchange students
One-term exchange students are students who have been approved by Go Global to study at UBC on an exchange program.
One-term exchange students are covered as follows:
- Winter Session Term 1 (September – December 2022): August 30, 2022 – January 2, 2023
- Winter Session Term 2 (January – April 2023): December 25, 2022 – April 29, 2023
- Summer Session Term 1 (May – June 2023): April 23, 2023 – August 26, 2023
- Summer Session Term 2 (July – August 2023): May 21, 2023 – September 23, 2023