Immigration documents reminder system

About the system

The UBC Immigration documents reminder system is a new feature in the Student Service Centre (SSC). It helps you stay on top of your document expiry dates by emailing you reminders before the expiry dates. After you enter the expiry dates of your important documents, the Reminder System will send an email to you a few months before one of your documents will expire so that you can take action ahead of time to renew or apply for a new document.  

How the system works

The reminder system is a requirement for international degree students. Once you enter expiry dates and information into all of the document fields, you will not get emails from the system until it is time to start the renewing/application processes.

Usually, you receive the reminder for the following reasons:

  • One or more documents are about to expire within four months. 

  • One or more documents are “in process”. The reminder will be sent to the student each month until you have updated the status of the document with the expiry date after you get the document. 

  • One or more document fields do not have status. For example, if you don’t require a TRV, and you leave the field unselected, you will keep getting reminders. You need to check the box “not applicable” instead of leaving the field unselected.

Documents tracked through the system

How to use the system

The Reminder System is part of the Student Services Centre (SSC). To access it:

  1. Log into the Student Service Centre (SSC)

  2. Under the “Personal Information” tab, select “Immigration Documents” 

  3. Enter information:

    1. Click on the button to type in the expiry date for each document

    2. Click on “Application in progress” if you are currently applying for/renewing the document 

    3. Click on “Not applicable” if you’re not required to have this type of document

  4. Click “Save” and log out. 

  5. Watch for reminder emails and follow the instructions in the email to take the appropriate action to renew or apply for a new document.

You must take action at least 3 or 4 months before your documents expire.

Tips for using the system

  • Mark your calendar for the dates of your action to renew or apply for a new document. 

  • Visit the International Student Guide often to get up-to-date information and plan ahead to manage your documents. 

Student responsibilities

You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and obeying immigration regulations during your stay in Canada.

Check your primary immigration documents - passportstudy permit, and (if applicable), your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) - to make sure they're accurate and valid. Enter your expiration dates into the SSC through the Immigration Documents Reminder System so that you can plan to renew them and remain in Canada without interruption.

In most cases, your Canadian immigration documents will not be issued past the expiry date of your passport.

If you extend your study permit (or transition from student status to worker status by applying for a post-graduation work permit), you will need to extend other documents after you receive your new permit. See the table below to help you plan your document extensions.

Document type When to extend it
Passport At least 6 months before expiration date
Study Permit, co-op work permit 3-4 months before expiration date
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Before or after the expiration date (depending on travel plans), usually after you extend your study permit or receive a post-graduation work permit.

BC Services Card (Medical Services Plan) Before the expiration date, usually after you extend your study permit or receive a post-graduation work permit
Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Before the expiration date, usually after you extend your study permit or receive a post-graduation work permit (optional, if you are authorized to work in Canada)

Frequently asked questions

Does UBC report the status of my immigration documents to the government?

No. The Reminder System was designed as a benefit for you as an international student, and the expiry dates you provide will not be reported to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) (formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada – CIC) or any third party.

What does "Application in Process" mean?

You can use this response if you have applied for a new document or applied to renew a document and it has not arrived yet. You will continue to receive reminder emails each month until you enter a new expiry date. So enter the new date as soon as you receive your new document.

How often will I receive a reminder message?

You will receive a message each month if a document is about to expire and you haven’t changed your response in the Reminder System, or you indicated “application in progress.”

Where can I get help with my documents?

Start with the information and step-by-step “How-Tos” on the International Student guide. If you still have questions or encounter a situation that’s not outlined in the International Student Guide, you can talk to an International Student Advisor at International House. All the advisors in International House are licensed immigration consultants.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide

If you have questions

International Student Advising is ready to support you on questions related to immigration, health insurance, and life as an international student in Canada.

Connect with an advisor