Tutorial: How to apply for an initial study permit

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying for your study permit.

3. Gather your required documents

Documents all students need

All students coming to UBC will need all of the following documents. 

Letter of Acceptance

  • Undergraduate students: You will receive your Letter of Acceptance in the mail, as part of your admission offer. 
  • Graduate students: You can download your Letter of Acceptance, which will be the first page of your admission offer, from e:Vision, the graduate studies application system. 

Proof of financial support

Check the IRCC website to find out how much financial support you're expected to have, and how to provide proof. 


Provide a copy of the bio-data page (the page with your name, date of birth, passport number, expiration date, etc.). Also include a copy of every page of your passport that has stamps, visas, or markings.

Important: Your study permit will not be issued past your passport's expiry.

  • If you do not have a passport, apply immediately.

  • If your passport will expire soon, extend it before you apply for your study permit.

    • If this is not an option or passport processing time is too long, apply for a study permit with your passport. After you arrive in Canada, extend your passport and study permit from within Canada.

Passport photo

Make sure your photo meets the specifications required for the application method you're using.

  • Online: find digital photo specifications on the "Your document checklist" page by clicking on the question mark, in the "Instructions" column, for "Digital photo". 
  • At a Visa Application Centre (VAC) or by paper: you need 2 photos, which must meet IRCC photo specifications.

Documents specific to your visa office

Remember to check for any additional documents required by your country's visa office.

If you're applying online:

  • To avoid delays or rejection, submit the required documents listed on the "Your document checklist" page in your MyCIC account plus any visa office-specific documents wth your application.
  • You can merge all visa office-specific documents into one PDF file and upload the file in the "Letter of Explanation" section on the "Your document checklist" page.

Documents you might need

Depending on your specific circumstances, you may need one or more of the following documents. 

Medical exam

Check the IRCC website to see if you need to take a medical exam. If you do, you have two options:

  1. Take a medical exam with an IRCC-approved Panel Physician before submitting your initial study permit application. Then include your medical report in your application. We recommend this option as it may save you time. 
  2. Alternately, apply for your study permit first and wait for a visa officer to send you a medical exam request. This may delay the processing of your application.

Biometrics (fingerprints and photos)

Find out if you need to provide biometrics on the IRCC website.

If you do need to give biometrics, you'll have to visit a VAC in person.

Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residence [IMM5257B]

This document is required only if you answer “Yes” to questions 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the "Background Information" section of the "Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada" form [IMM1294].

Most students will not require Schedule 1. That is why it is listed in the "Optional Documents" section in your MyCIC account, if you are applying online.