Student loans

About student loans

Student loans are offered by the Canadian and US governments to help students pay for their post-secondary education.

If you're a dual Canadian or American citizen, you may also be eligible to apply for Canada Student Loans through your home province. 

If you have any residency affiliation, through you or your parents, to the province of Ontario, you may be an exception. Please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor for more information.

Types of loans

Eligibility to apply

Eligibility for student loans is based on many factors, including your:

  • Income and assets
  • Tuition, mandatory fees, and book costs
  • Living expenses

Additional resources

If you have questions

If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Services Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.  

Graduate, postgraduate, and all other students can contact an Enrolment Services Advisor by calling 604 822 9836 or submitting your question through the online form.