Tutorial: How to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada Tutorial

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying for your TRV.

3. Gather your required documents

Documents all students need

All students applying for a TRV will need all of the following documents. 

When possible, documents should be issued within 30 days of submitting your application to be considered recent. If you must provide several documents in a section, combine them into one file (such as a PDF) before uploading. The size limit is 4MB per file; you may need to reduce the file size.

Recent education transcript

  • Order your transcript online.
  • If you have just started your program and your transcript is not available, you may want to write an explanation of your current circumstances and upload it as a ‘Letter of Explanation’.

Canadian study permit or work permit

  • If you are a study permit holder, you will need a scanned copy of your study permit.
  • If you are a work permit holder, you will need a scanned copy of your work permit.

Letter of Enrolment (listed as ‘Letter of Acceptance’ on your MyCIC checklist)

This letter is necessary to explain details about your studies and help an officer determine the remaining time you need to complete your program.

Undergraduate Students

Download your Letter of Enrolment from your SSC under Grades & Records > Proof of Enrolment Letters

Contact your academic advisor to get a Customized Enrolment Letter only if you:

  • require additional time to complete your program, or
  • are applying in the summer when not registered for courses.

Your Customized Enrolment Letter should include your program, your current status as a student, and your expected completion date. 

Important: Submit both a Letter of Enrolment and Customized Enrolment Letter (if required).

Graduate Students

Download your Letter of Enrolment from your SSC under Grades & Records > Proof of Enrolment Letters.

Contact your graduate staff/advisor in your program to get a Customized Enrolment Letter only if:

  • your letter of enrolment does not specify your estimated completion date, or
  • you receive funding (i.e. teaching assistantship or research assistantship) as part of your program, (this letter could also be used as part of your means of financial proof), or
  • you need additional time to complete your program.

Your Customized Enrolment Letter should include your program, your current status as a student, and your expected completion date.

Important: Submit both a Letter of Enrolment and Customized Enrolment Letter (if required).

Students Entering UBC from a Canadian School

If you are applying for your TRV based on your admission to UBC, and you haven’t registered for courses at UBC, you will need to show an official Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from UBC.

  • High school students, your LOA will be sent by mail.
  • Graduate students, your LOA will be the first page of your admission offer available electronically through e:Vision
  • Transfer students, submit your official transcript from your previous institution along with your LOA from UBC.

Proof of means of financial support

The proof of financial support must confirm that you have enough funds to support your studies and living expenses for a year.

You must show that you have at least $10,000 Canadian Dollars (CAD), plus an additional $4,000 for a spouse/partner, and/or $3,000 for each additional dependent family member (e.g., child).

You may provide one or a combination of the following, as long as the total is at least $10,000 CAD:

  • A current official bank statement that has been stamped or signed by your Canadian bank account showing a balance of at least $10,000 CAD.
  • A letter from parent(s) stating their relationship to you and that they will financially support you. The letter should be signed by your parent(s). You must also provide an official bank statement(s) of your parent(s). It should be issued by their bank and should be signed or stamped. It must also be in English or French (or accompanied by an official translation).
  • A letter from your sponsor (e.g. sponsorship organization, scholarships, loans) or employer (e.g., teaching assistantships, research assistantships) stating their relationship to you and the amount that they will provide.

Important: If the balances in any of the documentation above are in foreign currency, provide a screenshot of the currency converter result. (if your currency is not listed, use xe.com).


The scanned copy of your passport pages provides information about your travel history and the expiry date of your passport.

You must provide a copy of the bio-data page (the page with your name, date of birth, passport number, expiry date, etc.) AND a copy of every page in your passport that has stamps, visas, or markings from either Canada or other countries. Make sure you merge all the pages into one PDF document and upload it.

Important: Your TRV will not be issued past your study permit (or work permit) expiry date. If your passport will expire soon, extend it before you apply for your TRV.

Need help scanning your documents? Go to the Irving K. Barber Chapman Learning Commons or International Student Advising.

Digital photo

Make sure your photo meets the correct specifications.

Copiesmart in University Village will take Canadian immigration photos.

Documents you might need

Depending on your specific circumstances, you may need one or more of the following documents. 

Letter of Explanation

A letter of explanation is a good way to describe additional factors or include additional documents. It could include:

  1. The purpose of your application
  2. Issues you would like to clarify or that the officer might find useful
  3. Supporting documents, screenshots or any other proof to support your explanation
  4. Additional employment history if you have run out of space in your application

Medical exam

If you have been studying in Canada for the past 12 months, you do not need proof of a medical exam unless:

  1. You have lived in a designated country or territory for more than 6 months in the past 12 months or,
  2. You would like to work in a job that will bring you into close contact with people including patients, children, the elderly, etc. This includes public health, health sciences or agriculture-related fields (e.g., health care workers, primary and secondary school teachers). See this page to find out if you need a medical exam.

If the above applies to you, you will need a medical exam conducted by an IRCC-approved Panel Physician. Your medical exam report (referred to as your ‘e-medical’) can be submitted with your TRV application. You cannot start the position until you have received a study or work permit with appropriate conditions.

Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residence [IMM5257B]

Most students will not require this form.

This document is required only if you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions: 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the "Background Information" section of the "Application to change of conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a student" [IMM5709] form.

Important: If you answered "Yes" to any question in the "Background information" section other than 2(c), please speak to International Student Advising


If you have not previously provided biometrics (fingerprints and a photo), you must submit them in-person at a designated Service Canada location. 

The processing time for your study permit extension does not include the time it takes to submit your biometrics. Your application will not be processed until biometrics are received. You only need to give biometrics once every 10 years.

U.S. citizens and people who have provided biometrics in the past 10 years and certain other individuals are exempt from providing biometrics. 

  1. Pay the biometrics fee at the same time you submit your TRV application for faster processing.
  2. Receive your biometrics instruction letter. If you applied online you will receive an electronic biometrics instruction letter within 24 hours.  
  3. Book an appointmentas soon as possible at a designated Service Canada location.
  4. Submit your biometrics within 30 days of receiving your biometrics instruction letter.