Let’s set things straight.
The Main Event, which is part of Imagine UBC, isn’t a central event where people come together for a show or performance. It’s actually an open showcase of all that UBC has to offer, where visitors can wander around and see what interests them. It also takes place along Main Mall (hence the name).
From 1:00 to 4:30 pm, you’ll have time to walk around and see club booths, student resources, intramurals, undergraduate associations, and more. There are tons of club booths which are categorized into subsections to make it easier to navigate.
Lots of people are intimidated by the Main Event at first - walking down Mail Mall at full capacity can be overwhelming for even the most confident among us. You may be nervous to walk up to a booth and just start talking, but I can assure you that the club ambassador behind the booth is hoping with a puppy-dog level of desire that you’ll come talk to them.
The average interaction will go something like this:
“Hi, what is this club about?”
“Well, we [insert description of club].”
Response option #1
“Oh, that sounds cool. I’d like to sign up.” - writes down email
Response option #2
“Oh, that sounds cool. I’m going to think about it. Do you have a website?” - gets more info without signing up for anything yet
Response option #3
“Hmmm, cool, but I don’t think that’s for me” - walks away
See...how easy that is? You found out about a club, and the club ambassador got to talk to a new student. Everyone’s a winner!
It’s up to you what you do during the Main Event. You may sign up for every club or for none but regardless, it is definitely worth walking down Main Mall at least once. You might just have some fun.*
*10 things to do at the Main Event
- Get 100 high fives from the thousands of pumped up, post-Pep Rally, first year students.
- Collect 10 free pens from club booths. (Money hack: no need to buy any new ones for the semester!)
- Attempt a cheer pose with the UBC cheer team.
- Fail at said cheer pose but know you tried.
- Play a giant game of Jenga.
- Watch a Quidditch match.
- Take a cheesy selfie on the UBC fountain that you’ll then recreate in your final year.
- Photobomb Santa Ono’s selfie.
- Meet Santa Ono.
- Leave with a sense of pride that UBC has a ton to offer and your time here will be great.