Loans for part-time students

Who this is for

Part-time funding is best for students who:

  • Need support for educational expenses like tuition, books, and transportation
  • Have to pay for child care while attending school
  • Have permanent disabilities (some students with disabilities qualify for full-time loans by appealing to study at a reduced course load).

Part-time funding does not cover living costs. If you need additional financial support for living costs, please contact Enrolment Services Professionals to discuss your financial plan.

Part-time eligibility

To determine whether you are a part-time student, check the Course Load Guide. If you are registered in between 20% and 59% of the full-time load listed for your program, you are considered a part-time student.

Please note that not all programs are eligible for part-time funding. You must be in a program approved for full-time student loans. Please contact Enrolment Services to check if your program is approved.

How to apply

Students apply for part-time funding through their home province or territory. Your home province is the province where you lived before attending UBC, depending on whether you are a dependent or an independent student. 

  1. Download the appropriate application form based on your home province or territory. For example, if your home province is BC, then you would download the application form from StudentAid BC. Fill it out and submit it to Enrolment Services
  2. You will receive an assessment from the loan provider detailing what kind of funding you'll receive, and when you'll receive it
  3. Your funding will be sent to you by loan document after your enrolment has been confirmed by UBC

Contact us