Changing the name on your diploma


The name on your official student record will be the name printed on your diploma, but there are certain acceptable name changes you can request.

If you’re a UBC Okanagan student, review information and instructions specific to your campus.

Updating your legal name

If you have recently changed your legal name, you must notify UBC by updating your name on your official student record. The legal name on your student record will be the name printed on your diploma. If you have not previously provided your middle name and want to have this added to your diploma, consider updating your legal name on your student record.

The deadline to update your legal name on your student record for your diploma for Spring graduation is Fri, Apr 12, 2024. After that date, you will be required to order a replacement diploma.

If you've already submitted your graduation application

Please email after you have updated your legal name with Enrolment Services to ensure your graduation application and diploma are also updated.

Updating your official student record will not automatically update your graduation application.

Preferred or chosen name

Preferred or chosen names may be added to your diploma within brackets. Examples include: Mei Mei (Jane) Wong, Jane (Brown) Smith, or Matthew (Mat) Smith.

Requesting to add a preferred name will not change the name on your official student record. Instead, your preferred name will be added in addition to the legal name on your graduation application for diploma printing purposes. Learn more about how to change your name on your student record for documents at UBC.

Adding your preferred name to your diploma

After you've submitted your graduation application, please email the Vancouver graduation department at, or the Okanagan graduation department at In your email, include the following:

  • Legal first name
  • Preferred or chosen name
  • Legal last name
  • UBC student number

Your diploma will state the legal name you submitted in your Student Service Centre (SSC) graduation application unless you request to have your preferred name added in brackets as described above.

Using your preferred name for the upcoming graduation ceremony

If you’d like to have your preferred or chosen name read as you cross the stage for the upcoming graduation ceremony in November 2024, as well as printed in the graduation ceremony booklet, submit a request online by Fri, Oct 11, 2024. You do not need to submit a request if you want your legal name as it is recorded in your Student Service Centre (SSC) to be used. This request is only for the graduation ceremony and not for the name printed on your diploma.

Other acceptable changes to your diploma

  • An unused first name may be abbreviated to initials, such as "J. Mary Smith".
  • Middle names may be abbreviated to initials or omitted from the parchment.
  • If you are attending UBC under a married name, your birth name can be printed on your diploma upon presentation of appropriate ID. Your birth name can be added to your records for future reference if necessary.

Additional resources

If you have questions