Health insurance details for aboriginal students

Basic health insurance

What you need

The FNHA Health Benefits Program. It covers the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) and other health insurance coverage.

What it will cover

  • BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)
  • Pharmacy
  • Vision
  • Dental
  • Medical supplies & equipment
  • Medical transportation
  • Mental health - crisis intervention (short term)

Coverage period

As long as you remain enrolled and eligible for the FNHA Health Benefits Program

Approximate cost

Once your coverage application is received, verified, and approved, the cost of the premium is paid directly by the FNHA Health Benefits program

How to enrol

MSP Enrolment should be mailed or faxed to:
First Nations Health Authority Health Benefits Program
Suite 540 - 757 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 1A
Fax 1.888.299.9222
All applications must have copies of both sides of your birth certificate or passport and status card

More information

UBC Student Health Service can assist Aboriginal students in understanding their coverage and options for payment. 

Extended health insurance

What you need

Non-insured health benefits for Status Natives and Inuits are provided by the federal government, under Health Canada's First Nations and Inuit Health Branch. In BC, the FNHA is responsible for administering non-insured benefits and items for eligible clients.

What it will cover

Certain medical supplies and all medical equipment require prior approval. 
For a full list of exclusions under the FNHA Health Benefits Program, see the FNHA Health Benefits Info Package.

How much will it cost

The FNHA does not pay extra charges above the amount paid or payable by the Medical Services Plan of BC nor reimburse clients who have paid extra billing charges. If clients receive bills from a doctor or hospital which may be an “extra billing” charge, the doctor or hospital should be asked to provide an explanation of the expense in writing

How to enrol

You are automatically enrolled in the AMS/ GSS plan when registering for classes.

Aboriginal students who receive health and dental benefits from Health Canada or the FNHA may choose to opt out of the AMS/GSS plan; you can use your status card as proof of other coverage.

More information

AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan

Fair PharmaCare

What is it?

Fair Pharmacare helps residents of British Columbia with the cost of certain prescription drugs and medical supplies.

Why do I need it?

In most cases, your AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan will cover up to 80% of eligible prescriptions. However, you may choose to apply for Fair Pharmacare to cover more expensive prescriptions for chronic health conditions that are not covered by the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan.

When do I need it?

If you are an international student with a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and already have MSP coverage, you may be eligible to apply for Fair Pharmacare. You must apply for and receive your MSP and SIN before you submit your application for Fair Pharmacare.

How do I get it?

You can submit an application for Fair Pharmacare online. The application requests that you provide information from your last year’s Canadian tax return. 

If you are a new international student who has not yet filed tax returns, you will need to complete an application for income review. In addition to the income review, you will need to contact MSP by phone at 604-683-7151 to request that another form be sent to you by mail or fax. The name of this form is the “Notarized Affidavit”, where you will include any world income from outside of Canada in the past year. You must take this form to a notary to be stamped (check online for notaries near UBC; there will be a fee) and then send the original form back to MSP at the following address: