Changing your gender marker

About the gender marker

Your gender marker captures your internal, felt sense of identity. You can update your gender marker at UBC regardless of what appears on your government-issued identification, with no need for other supporting documentation.

How to change your gender marker

  1. Email a completed copy of the Student request to change gender marker form (pdf) to your Enrolment Services Advisor. If you don't have an advisor, you can email the form to to be connected with an Enrolment Services Advisor.
  2. If you live in a UBC-managed residence, contact Student Housing and Community Services (SHCS) separately to update your housing record. 
  3. Once you update you gender marker with Enrolment Services, this information with be shared with the AMS Health and Dental Plan. There may be a delay in when this information is shared.

Gender marker options

In the current Student Information System, students can only update their gender marker to the binary options of M or F. If you do not want to record your gender as either of these options, you may request that your record be updated to identicate that you choose not to disclose your gender (this will be recorded as “U” for “Unknown” in the current system).  

We understand that these system limitations are frustrating to some students, particularly non-binary students. UBC is actively working to transition to a new Student Information System which will allow students to indicate their gender as M, F, or X.   

If you applied to UBC for the first time as an undergraduate student in 2021 or later, the undergraduate application form offered three gender markers: X, Woman, and Man. However, this information is not currently compatible with the UBC student record system. If you wish to update your record, UBC systems currently offer “U” for Unknown/Choose Not to Disclose, Male, and Female. You can update your gender marker following the process outlined above.

Why UBC collects gender markers

UBC collects gender markers to meet reporting obligations and to inform programming and decision-making.  

Reporting obligations 

To meet reporting obligations, UBC aggregates gender data and reports it to the province. Departments may use aggregated gender information as part of their reporting obligations or during their regular review processes.  

Programming and decision-making 

If you included a binary gender marker on your application to UBC, it is recorded in UBC’s Student Information System. Your gender data may be accessed or shared with units across UBC, such as for the purpose of gender-based scholarships and busaries. In some cases, your gender data may be shared in the aggregate, without identifying you specifically.  

Considerations when changing your gender marker

If you are considering updating your gender marker with UBC, you may also want to think about other instances where gender may be relevant at UBC. 


If you live in a UBC-managed residence on a gendered floor, you can speak with a Student Housing professional about the best fit for your needs. Please contact Student Housing and Community Services

UBCcard Photo 

Your UBCcard is often used to show proof of your identity for exams and at university services. Your most recent UBCcard photo is also shown on class lists.  

If your gender expression has changed, you may want to update your Student ID photo.   

Additional resources

If you have questions

If you're an undergraduate student, please contact your Enrolment Services Advisor directly. To find your advisor’s contact information, log into your Student Service Centre (SSC) and select “UBC Contacts” under Personal Info.

Graduate, postgraduate, and all other students can contact an Enrolment Services Advisor by calling 604 822 9836 or submitting a question through the online form.