Unknown experiences or new environments can lead to sadness or a low mood. Sometimes it's possible and normal to feel down without even knowing why.
However, if you’ve been feeling sad or irritable and uninterested in simple activities for 2 weeks or longer and your daily functioning is being impacted, you should seek help for depression.
Symptoms of depression:
- Low mood lasting two weeks or more
- Not getting any enjoyment out of life
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Feeling tired or lacking energy
- Not being able to concentrate on everyday things (e.g., watching TV)
- Eating too much or loss of appetite
- Sleeping more than usual or being unable to sleep
- Having thoughts about suicide or harming yourself