Implied status

About implied status

If you’ve applied for a new immigration status but it won’t arrive before your current status expires, you may still be able to stay, study, and/or work in Canada during this time. This is called ‘implied status.’

This could happen when you are:

  • Extending the same status
    If you are extending your immigration status AND have submitted your application before your status expires (for example, you have a study permit and apply to extend your study permit before expiry)
  • Changing your status
    If you hold valid status in Canada, AND are applying for a different type of status (for example, you have a study permit and apply for a work permit)

If you do not apply to extend your stay before your status in Canada expires, you must stop studying and working immediately and apply to restore your status, if eligible.

If you’re extending your status

You usually have implied status if

  1. You are extending your immigration status AND
  2. Submitted your application before your status expires

If you remain in Canada, you may continue studying and/or working in Canada based on the conditions in your original document, until you receive a decision from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada(IRCC).

If your study permit expires, your other documents tied to your study permit, such as your Medical Services Plan (MSP), Social Insurance Number (SIN), and Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) will likely expire too. Make sure to extend your study permit3-4 months before it expires.

Leaving Canada with implied status

If you leave Canada with implied status, you may re-enter as long as you:

After re-entering Canada, you cannot resume study or work until you have received your new study/work permit.

It is strongly recommended that when re-entering Canada at the port of entry (border or airport), you show proof of your extension application. This can be a copy of your application, copy of the fee payment receipt, copy of the letter of confirmation sent by IRCC, etc.

If you’re changing status

If you apply to change your immigration status before your status expires, you can remain in Canada until you receive a decision but cannot start studying or working until you have received your study or work permit.

Changing from a work permit or visitor status to a study permit

If you are on a work permit or visitor status then apply for a study permit, you can stay in Canada while your application is in progress, but you cannot start studying until you receive your study permit.

If you have a work permit, you must stop working when it expires. 

Changing from a study permit to a post-graduation work permit

If you meet certain criteria, you may immediately begin working full-time while you are waiting for a decision on your PGWP . Furthermore, if youleave and re-enter Canada,you do not lose the ability to work, even if your study permit has expired.

Medical Services Plan (MSP)

If you have implied status, your BC MSP will usually end on the expiry date of your current immigration document.

Your BC MSP will not be reactivated until you provide BC MSP with proof of your new immigration document (that is, a copy of your study permit or post-graduation work permit).

To prevent gaps in health insurance coverage, see how to extend your MSP.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A SIN is required for paid work in Canada. SINs that start with “9” are issued to temporary residents (such as international students).

Your SIN’s expiration date generally corresponds with the expiry date of your status in Canada, such as your study permit expiration date.

If you have implied status, you may continue working with your expired SIN until you receive an answer from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You can show your employer proof of your implied status (for example, an IRCC application payment receipt or letter confirming the submission of an application for extension, available within your MyCIC account). You can also send your employer reference information about SIN.

After you receive your new extended study or work permit, extend your SIN by presenting it to Service Canada.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide