Whether it's finding a venue, reaching a contact, or learning about avenues for funding, the Global Lounge responds to my inquiries with flexibility, openness, and a sincere interest in making things possible
Network and membership
Structure of the Global Lounge Network
Clubs and organizations that comprise the Global Lounge network are separated into committees, each of which are responsible for organizing a particular aspect of Global Lounge programming.
The Global Lounge committees include:
Global Fund Committee
- Review monthly applications from students and be responsible for filling out a rubric.
- Meet monthly to discuss applications and results.
- Maintain a level of confidentiality
Marketing and Communications Committee
- Maintain Global Lounge communication channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the Global Lounge newsletter, blog, and website
- Assist in the creation of videos
- Create marketing materials and staff booths for events
- Maintain communication with contacts in the Greater Vancouver region
- Maintain communication with campus media outlets
Professional Development Committee
- Plan and coordinate student-led professional development events.
- Coordinate ethical engagement/advocacy activities for student clubs
- Contribute to the Global Lounge LinkedIn presence by providing weekly articles or posting questions
- Plan & Coordinate other Professional Development sessions as you see fit.
- Arrange for events for the members of the Global Lounge network such as holiday socials and end of year events
- Plan and execute International Development Week
- Plan and manage passive programming projects that will enhance dialogue and collaboration within the space
- Work with clubs to enable intercultural dialogue and programming such as Global Cafés
- Meet once or twice a month to design and discuss new possible directions and programming
- Empower clubs by encouraging intercultural and interfaith exchanges within the space
Approximate time commitments for the meeting is 1.5-2 hours. Outside work would include helping with preparation for events.
We know that making a positive impact is often hard to do alone. The Global Lounge offers your organization a physical meeting space, resources, and an opportunity to collaborate with others through workshops and social events.
Global Lounge Network membership requirements
- Nominate one representative – a Global Lounge Officer - to attend Network meetings and be a part of a Global Lounge Network committee. The Global Lounge Officer must be part of your club’s executive team as this provides a greater opportunity for information transfer.
- Collaborate with at least one other member club on an event or initiative within your committee. If an event is not possible, other collaborations may be considered.
- Attend at least one Professional Development workshop and at least one Global Cafe.
- Submit at least one social media post/photo/video clip each term for the Global Lounge blog and one media submission each term.
- This can be connected to your organization’s events.
- Acknowledge Global Lounge membership in any publications or advertising materials.
Global Lounge Officer Requirements
- Attend Global Lounge Network Training in September (with club President)
- Attend bi-monthly Global Lounge Network Meetings (November, January and March)
- Actively participate in a Global Lounge Committee by attending biweekly meetings and fulfilling specific requirements (see below).
Global Lounge Network Meetings
Outside of committee meetings, the Global Lounge Network representatives will meet as a group on a monthly basis to discuss updates and participate in facilitated discussions to help further the Network goals. All meetings are catered. (Groups will not formally meet in December or April). Except for the first meeting, all other general meetings need only be attended by the Global Lounge Officers. Presidents and other executives are more than welcome to join. If the Global Lounge Officer is unable to attend, a proxy from your club can attend in your place.
President and Global Lounge Officer must attend one day Global Lounge Network Training on Saturday, September 7th, 2019 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The training will include:
- Opportunity to connect with all other members
- Find out about Global Lounge – the what, when, where, why and who
- Find out about expectations and event calendar for the year
- Improve teamwork and leadership skills
- Expand intercultural understanding
- Coffee/tea in the morning, snacks and lunch
Global Lounge Officer must attend bi-monthly Global Lounge Network Meetings:
- November 20th, 2019, 6-8pm
- January 29th, 2020, 6-8pm
- March 18th, 2020, 6-8pm
Apply to be a part of the Global Lounge
Applications have now been closed! Please check back in March 2020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get involved with one of our Global Lounge Member Groups