Special occasion licence for indoor space

A liquor license is required to serve alcohol at any event at UBC.

Some locations on campus, such as Pit Pub and University Centre have permanent licenses. To serve alcohol at any other location you must get a temporary liquor license, called a Special Occasion License (SOL), or hire a caterer who is licensed to serve alcohol. If you are the event organizer, you and your staff are prohibited from consuming alcohol at the event.

Getting your Special Occasion License

When you organize an event, you have a legal responsibility to follow all provincial and University rules to ensure the safety of all event attendees. 

To serve alcohol at your event you must:


If your event is in any SOL contravention you will be responsible for any fines imposed by the BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, unless you made an official booking on behalf of a faculty or department.


  • Selling liquor to minors: $7,500 - $10,000 
  • Minors on licensed premises: $5,000 - $7,500
  • Permitting a person to become intoxicated: $5,000 - $7,000 
  • Permitting more persons than allowed by the occupant load: $5,000 - $7,000 
  • A failure to take reasonable measures to ensure that the operation of the licensed establishment is not contrary to the public interest and does not disturb persons in the vicinity of the establishment: $7,500 - $10,000 

Events with more than 100 attendees

If you are planning an event with 100+ attendees where liquor will be served, you need to complete and submit the following two forms (in the Forms section on this page) to the appropriate signing authority at least 30 days before the event:

  1. Request for permission to hold an event where alcohol will be served
  2. A Safety and Emergency Response Plan


Wescadia is our preferred caterer and are licensed to serve alcohol at your event. 

Please note that all event booking procedures must be followed and permission granted by the University regardless of whether the special occasion liquor license is held by the organizer or the caterer.

Other catering companies

If you are holding an event where a caterer will be serving alcohol, please submit the catering permission form.


Temporary food services application form


Get informed