About the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

If you are from a visa-required country, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. Find out what it is, when you need it and how you get it.

What is a TRV?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a ‘visitor’s visa’ or ‘entry visa’, is a document that is placed in your passport and used to enter or re-enter Canada. A valid TRV will provide the permission to return to Canada following a trip and is often issued for the same length of time as a study permit.

A TRV can be viewed as having permission to enter Canada while a study permit (referred to as a status document) provides permission to legally study in Canada.

Do I need a TRV?

You will need a TRV if you are a Citizen entering Canada from a visa-required country.

New students

If you apply for an initial study permit outside of Canada, you do not need to apply separately for a TRV. If your study permit is approved and a TRV is required, you will be issued a TRV along with your study permit.

Current students

If your TRV has recently expired or you have received your extended study permit, you can apply for a TRV inside Canada.

Other considerations

Travelling outside of Canada during your studies

If you plan to travel during your studies, you must have a valid study permit and TRV to return and re-enter Canada.

If you have no intentions to travel

A valid TRV is not required as long as you have a valid study permit; however, it is highly recommended to keep your TRV valid in the event of an unexpected trip abroad.

Travel to the United States

You do not need a valid TRV to re-enter Canada if you:

  • Have a valid study permit or work permit , or 
  • Hold valid visitor status in Canada; and
  • Leave Canada and visit only the United States, and
  • Return to Canada by the end of the authorized period of your stay in Canada.

[See the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Part 9, Division 5, Section 190(3)(f)].

How to apply for a TRV

If you require a valid TRV to travel to Canada, you must apply for it well in advance.

If you must provide biometrics (fingerprints and a photo), apply for your TRV earlier to allow for this extra step. 

New students

If you will study at UBC for less than six months and require a TRV, apply for it well in advance by reviewing the steps outlined on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

If you will study at UBC for more than six months, your TRV will be issued with your study permit (if approved), visit our tutorial on how to apply for an initial study permit.

Current students

You may apply for a TRV from inside Canada after extending your study permit or work permit. Be cautious about booking travel plans before you receive your TRV.

Go to the TRV tutorial


You or your family members may be in Canada as visitors (without study or work permits). Visitors currently in Canada can only apply for a new TRV through the Canadian visa office responsible for your home region.

If your passport containing a TRV is lost or stolen

If your passport with a valid TRV is lost or stolen, you must first replace your passport. Once you have a new passport, you can apply for a new TRV. Include a letter of explanation that contains the police report number and a brief explanation about why you are applying.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide

Get help

International Student Advising

Talk to an advisor

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help.

When emailing us, include the following information in the email:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your name
  3. Your citizenship(s)
  4. All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  5. Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  6. If you request specific assistance, please provide detailed information including applicable documents, such as a rejection letter
UBC Life Building
1200-6138 Student Union Blvd.
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm