Tutorial: How to amend your study permit with conditions to work in Canada

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying to amend your study permit

1. Overview of the process

About amendments

Amendments apply only to errors that are made by an officer when your documents were issued.

Example: if you were eligible to work when you entered Canada but your study permit does not state that you “may work” or “may accept employment”, you’ll need to amend your study permit before you can work in Canada.


To be eligible for a study permit amendment, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • You were eligible to work in Canada at the time your study permit was issued, AND
  • Your study permit does not have the correct conditions related to work, for example:
    • It states “Unless authorized, prohibited from engaging in employment in Canada”, or
    • It states “This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off-campus employment in Canada”, or
    • Does not include any conditions related to work


When to apply

As soon as possible; you must have a study permit with the correct condition(s) in order to work in Canada


No cost

Processing time

Check estimated processing times.

If your application is time-sensitive (for example, you have a job offer or you plan to travel outside Canada during the processing time), please contact International Student Advising.

How to apply

By paper only

Application form

Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents [IMM 1436]

To avoid delays with your application, always download the most current form from the IRCC website.