Awards for Aboriginal students

About the awards

The awards for Aboriginal students include scholarships and bursaries.

  • Scholarships are merit-based awards that recognize academic achievement. Some may also consider achievements in areas like community involvement or athletics.
  • Bursaries are based on financial need. Student awards based solely on financial need are not indicated on a student's transcript.

You can find a full list of how UBC defines different types of awards in the Academic Calendar.

Read the awards descriptions

Am I eligible?

General requirements

To be considered for Aboriginal awards, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status
  • Be an Aboriginal student. UBC uses the term "Aboriginal" in the spirit of its use in section 35(2) of the Canadian Constitution, to refer inclusively to members of First Nations, status and non-status, treaty and non-treaty Indians, Métis, and Inuit peoples in Canada, recognizing in doing so that many people prefer the terms that are specific and traditional to their communities.
  • Submit the UBC Bursary Application via the Student Service Centre (SSC) by the deadline (you will be considered for UBC General Bursary at the same time).  Please note that a full-time Canadian government student loan is not required for Aboriginal Awards consideration, but is required for General Bursary consideration.
  • Submit the application for intended aboriginal awards
  • Demonstrate financial need for bursaries
  • Provide supporting documentation if required
  • Be enrolled in a full-time course load studying on the Vancouver campus
  • Meet the eligibility requirements as outlined in UBC’s Regulations Governing University Awards
  • Unclassified and qualifying students are not eligible

Additional requirements

Some awards have additional requirements, which are listed in the application. You can also read the award descriptions before you start your application.

How to apply

Application period

August 15, 2019 - September 16, 2019 (11:59 PM PST)

Before you apply

You'll find detailed instructions on the application form, but before you start:

  1. Meet all general and specific eligibility requirements for applicable awards.
  2. Make sure to read each award descriptions carefully, as they all require different supporting documentation before you are able to submit your completed application.
  3. Apply for UBC Bursary by September 16, 2019.

Students from other post-secondary institutions: You do not need to apply for the UBC Bursary. Instead, prepare your financial information, such as taxes, income, assets, resources, and student loan assessment. We will also need an estimate of your costs for the upcoming school year, and an official transcript. 

Apply now

Band sponsorship

Third-party billing

If you are an Aboriginal student and are thinking about how to finance your education, you might consider band funding. Depending on your band, sponsorship can cover some costs and not others.

One common type of sponsorship is band funding for tuition, also known as third-party billing, where your band office provides your tuition and fee payments directly to UBC through Enrolment Services.

If you are considering band sponsorship, always be aware of deadlines for your band office and UBC Enrolment Services. For more information, read about third-party billing.

If you are already receiving band sponsorship, it's important to make sure you understand the type of sponsorship you are receiving and any restrictions on it.

Read more on third party billing

Important questions to ask

  • If you are receiving band funding for four years of on-campus housing, one question to ask your band is whether you could still be funded if you chose to live off-campus.
  • If you are participating in a co-op program and need an additional year to finish your degree, check with your band about continued funding for your fifth and last year, or if this makes you ineligible for continued sponsorship.

If band funding is not enough to cover all your costs, look at other financial options available to you.

Contact us - Vancouver students

Contact us - Okanagan students