Tutorial: How to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada Tutorial

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying for your TRV.

1. Overview of the process

Eligibility Visit the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) page.
When to apply

If you are from a visa-required country and have travel plans, you will need a TRV (along with your valid study permit and passport) to re-enter Canada.

Apply at least 3 months before your planned departure from Canada or immediately after you have extended your study/work permit.


$100.00 CAD and

$85.00 CAD for biometrics, if applicable

Processing time Check this website for weekly updates
How to apply

Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website


  • You can only apply by paper if you are unable to apply online because of a disability, or your identity or travel document was issued to a refugee, stateless person or a non-citizen. Fill out the forms, gather all required documents and send to the IRCC Case Processing Centre in Ottawa, Ontario

Applying for family members: When generating your checklist for your family members through IRCC’s online system, the correct forms (e.g. [IMM5257]) will not be triggered for your family members. Unfortunately, the system generates a different form: [IMM5708]. 

If you submit this form, you will be asking for your family members’ status to change, not applying for a TRV. Therefore, please submit separate applications for each family member. Please speak with International Student Advising to go through this process in more detail.

Application form

To avoid delays with your application, always download the most current form from the IRCC website.


Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM5257E]

Important: Choose this form even if you are applying from within Canada.


Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) [IMM5257E]

2. Create your document checklist

1. Create an IRCC Secure Account on the IRCC website.

2. Complete the questionnaire to generate a checklist of application forms and required documents.

Important: When answering the question “what would you like to do in Canada?” on the online questionnaire, please answer “study” to the question. Answering “visit” will generate the wrong document checklist.

3. After completing the questionnaire, you will be guided to a screen titled "Your document checklist".  

If you are applying by paper

If applying by paper, see document checklist [IMM5721].

3. Gather your required documents

Documents all students need

All students applying for a TRV will need all of the following documents. 

When possible, documents should be issued within 30 days of submitting your application to be considered recent. If you must provide several documents in a section, combine them into one file (such as a PDF) before uploading. The size limit is 4MB per file; you may need to reduce the file size.

Recent education transcript

  • Order your transcript online.
  • If you have just started your program and your transcript is not available, you may want to write an explanation of your current circumstances and upload it as a ‘Letter of Explanation’.

Canadian study permit or work permit

  • If you are a study permit holder, you will need a scanned copy of your study permit.
  • If you are a work permit holder, you will need a scanned copy of your work permit.

Letter of Enrolment (listed as ‘Letter of Acceptance’ on your MyCIC checklist)

This letter is necessary to explain details about your studies and help an officer determine the remaining time you need to complete your program.

Undergraduate Students

Download your Letter of Enrolment from your SSC under Grades & Records > Proof of Enrolment Letters

Contact your academic advisor to get a Customized Enrolment Letter only if you:

  • require additional time to complete your program, or
  • are applying in the summer when not registered for courses.

Your Customized Enrolment Letter should include your program, your current status as a student, and your expected completion date. 

Important: Submit both a Letter of Enrolment and Customized Enrolment Letter (if required).

Graduate Students

Download your Letter of Enrolment from your SSC under Grades & Records > Proof of Enrolment Letters.

Contact your graduate staff/advisor in your program to get a Customized Enrolment Letter only if:

  • your letter of enrolment does not specify your estimated completion date, or
  • you receive funding (i.e. teaching assistantship or research assistantship) as part of your program, (this letter could also be used as part of your means of financial proof), or
  • you need additional time to complete your program.

Your Customized Enrolment Letter should include your program, your current status as a student, and your expected completion date.

Important: Submit both a Letter of Enrolment and Customized Enrolment Letter (if required).

Students Entering UBC from a Canadian School

If you are applying for your TRV based on your admission to UBC, and you haven’t registered for courses at UBC, you will need to show an official Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from UBC.

  • Undergraduate students, log in to the Applicant Service Centre, click Admissions, and select Letter of Admission.
  • Graduate students, your LOA will be the first page of your admission offer available electronically through e:Vision
  • Transfer students, submit your official transcript from your previous institution along with your LOA from UBC.

Proof of means of financial support

As part of your application you must prove that you can support yourself and any dependent family members with you in Canada for a year. 

Increase to proof of funds requirement

As of January 1, 2024, the minimum cost-of-living financial requirement for one year has increased from $10,000 to $20,635 for 2024. The cost-of-living amount will be adjusted each year based on Statistics Canada’s low-income cut-off. The amount required for additional family members depends on how many dependents you have.

In your Temporary Resident Visa application, you should show proof of funds which would be sufficient to cover:

  • One year of living expenses: The cost-of-living amount for 2024 is $20,635 for a single person. The cost-of-living amount will be adjusted each year based on Statistics Canada’s low-income cut-off. If you have dependents (spouse, common-law partner, and/or children), you’ll need to show additional proof of funds based on the number of family members. If you have less than a year remaining to finish your program, you can prorate this amount to $1719.59 a month. 
  • One year of tuition fees: You need to show proof of funds to cover one year of tuition fees. If you have less than a year remaining to finish your program, you could show proof of funds for the remaining tuition fees.

You may provide a combination of financial documents and sources, as long as the total exceeds the minimum cost-of-living financial requirement for yourself and any dependents plus one year of tuition fees, such as:

  • An official bank statement issued within the past 30 days that has been stamped or signed by your Canadian bank account showing the balance.
  • A letter from parent(s) stating their relationship to you and that they will financially support you along with their financial documents. The letter should be signed by your parent(s). You must also provide an official bank statement(s) of your parent(s) issued by their bank and that has been signed or stamped. It must also be in English or French (or accompanied by an official translation). To write a letter of financial support, they can download our template (docx).
  • A letter from your sponsor (e.g. sponsorship organization, scholarships, loans) or employer (e.g., teaching assistantships, research assistantships) stating their relationship to you and the amount that they will provide you.
  • If you have already paid tuition fees for a future term, get proof of payment from your Student Services Centre (SSC) by selecting "Tuition History" under Finances.

See IRCC’s proof of financial support page for further examples.

While you only need to show proof of funds for one year, the officer must be satisfied that the possibility of funding for additional years of studies exists, such as your parents are employed or that your scholarship is for more than 1 year.   

If providing a combination of financial documents and sources, include a summary or an index page of all the documents you are submitting for this section. This will also allow you to clarify or explain the connection between documents, if applicable. You can download a template for the summary (docx).

If you are having challenges with providing proof of funds, contact International Student Advising for support.

Important: If the balances in any of the documentation above are in foreign currency, provide a screenshot of the currency converter result. (if your currency is not listed, use xe.com).


The scanned copy of your passport pages provides information about your travel history and the expiry date of your passport.

You must provide a copy of the bio-data page (the page with your name, date of birth, passport number, expiry date, etc.) AND a copy of every page in your passport that has stamps, visas, or markings from either Canada or other countries. Make sure you merge all the pages into one PDF document and upload it.

Important: Your TRV will not be issued past your study permit (or work permit) expiry date. If your passport will expire soon, extend it before you apply for your TRV.

Need help scanning your documents? Go to the Irving K. Barber Chapman Learning Commons or International Student Advising.

Digital photo

Make sure your photo meets the correct specifications.

Copiesmart in University Village will take Canadian immigration photos.

Documents you might need

Depending on your specific circumstances, you may need one or more of the following documents. 

Letter of Explanation

A letter of explanation is a good way to describe additional factors or include additional documents. It could include:

  1. The purpose of your application
  2. Issues you would like to clarify or that the officer might find useful
  3. Supporting documents, screenshots or any other proof to support your explanation
  4. Additional employment history if you have run out of space in your application

Medical exam

If you have been studying in Canada for the past 12 months, you do not need proof of a medical exam unless:

  1. You have lived in a designated country or territory for more than 6 months in the past 12 months or,
  2. You would like to work in a job that will bring you into close contact with people including patients, children, the elderly, etc. This includes public health, health sciences or agriculture-related fields (e.g., health care workers, primary and secondary school teachers). See this page to find out if you need a medical exam.

If the above applies to you, you will need a medical exam conducted by an IRCC-approved Panel Physician. Your medical exam report (referred to as your ‘e-medical’) can be submitted with your TRV application. You cannot start the position until you have received a study or work permit with appropriate conditions.

Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residence [IMM5257B]

Most students will not require this form.

This document is required only if you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions: 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the "Background Information" section of the "Application to change of conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a student" [IMM5709] form.

Important: If you answered "Yes" to any question in the "Background information" section other than 2(c), please speak to International Student Advising


If you have not previously provided biometrics (fingerprints and a photo), you must submit them in-person at a designated Service Canada location. 

The processing time for your study permit extension does not include the time it takes to submit your biometrics. Your application will not be processed until biometrics are received. You only need to give biometrics once every 10 years.

U.S. citizens and people who have provided biometrics in the past 10 years and certain other individuals are exempt from providing biometrics. 

  1. Pay the biometrics fee at the same time you submit your TRV application for faster processing.
  2. Receive your biometrics instruction letter. If you applied online you will receive an electronic biometrics instruction letter within 24 hours.  
  3. Book an appointmentas soon as possible at a designated Service Canada location.
  4. Submit your biometrics within 30 days of receiving your biometrics instruction letter.

4. Fill out the application form

Your application form is an important part of your application. Missing or incorrect information can negatively impact the outcome of your application. Below are five steps to a comprehensive application.

i. Download the newest form(s)

IRCC makes periodic updates to their application forms. Always make sure you are using the most current application form(s) by downloading the application form(s) directly from your MyCIC Document Checklist. 

TRV Document checklist
  1. Download applicable forms by putting your cursor over the document name. You’ll see a note that says “(Opens a new window)”; this indicates a form can be downloaded.
  2. If you see a “Please wait…” message when you're downloading a form:
    1. Click on the download arrow at the top right to save the file onto your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader.
    2. If you do not see the arrow, move your cursor to the top of the screen and it will appear.
TRV Please Wait

ii. Review your application form(s) 

Required for all applicants: Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) [IMM5257E] form

The Family information [IMM5707] form is only required for some applicants. You cannot sign this form electronically. Instead, you should fill out the form, print it out and sign the applicable section(s) before uploading your completed form.

iii. Get help with commonly asked questions

What is a UCI?

UCI stands for “Unique Client Identifier,” also known as “Client ID.” It is an eight or ten-digit number on your study permit; your UCI has this format: 0000-0000 or 00-0000-0000.


What visa am I applying for?

Choose Visitor Visa

TRV Visa

How do I fill out the "Current mailing address" section?

Inaccurate or incomplete information will negatively impact your ability to get your passport returned, if yout TRV is approved.

  • A P.O. Box is a lockable mailbox located in a post office station. Your mailbox number is not a P.O. Box number.
  • A street number is the main number on the outside of a building. Some “street names” also contain numbers, such as West 10th Ave, but this number is a street name.
  • If you live in a residence on campus, you may have an assigned mailbox number. You may put your mailbox number in brackets before the street name and spell out “mailbox: your mailbox number”.
  • If you do not have an assigned mailbox number, you can put your apartment number under Apt/Unit.
TRV Address

How do I fill out the "Details of Visit to Canada" section?

  • If you are a study permit holder, you are a “returning student”. You may type in “UBC” as “my school”.
  • If you are a work permit holder, you are a “returning worker”. You may type in your company’s name as “my employer”.
TRV Details of Visit
TRV Institution

How do I fill out the “Indicate how long you plan to stay” section?

  • In the "From" field: type in the date when you will submit this application
  • In the "To" field: type in the expiry date of your current study permit/work permit
TRV How long you plan to stay

How do I fill out the "Funds available" section?

The amount you indicate in “funds available for my stay (CAD)” should match the total amount of funds you are showing as proof. Remember, you must show you have proof of funds to cover at least $20,635 for the cost-of-living financial requirement in 2024 and one year of tuition fees. 

Funds available image

How do I fill out the "Education” section?

The information you provide in this section helps IRCC have a fuller picture of your current post-secondary education.

  • Indicate ‘yes’ to the education section as you are currently studying (or completed your studies, if applying for a work permit) at UBC. Type in the current year and month in the “to” field. If you completed your studies, indicate the relevant month and year.
  • Type in your current program (e.g. level, Bachelor, field, Arts) at UBC.
  • You may include your other studies at the post-secondary level (e.g., university, college, apprenticeship training, etc.).
  • If you need more space, provide additional information in a letter or explanation and upload this document in the "Client Information" section under 'Optional Documents'.
TRV Education Section

How do I fill out the “Employment" section?

The information you provide in this section helps IRCC have a fuller picture of your employment activities within the last ten years.

Include the following activities for the past ten years, with the most recent activities listed first, whether you did them in or outside of Canada:

  • For all students, the first section under employment is “current activity”; therefore, fill your current status as a student. If you are currently employed, fill your employment in the next section. Remember to include:
  • Part-time job(s)
  • Full-time job(s)
  • Internship(s)/Co-op(s)/Practicum(s)
  • Studies at the post-secondary level (e.g., university, college, etc.)
  • If you need more space, provide additional information in a letter or explanation and upload this document in the "Client Information" section under 'Optional Documents'.
TRV Employment

How do I answer the "Background" questions?

2 (a) Have you remained beyond the validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada?

2 (b) Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

 2 (c) Background information: Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?

You must provide honest answers to these questions. Please speak with an International Student Advisor if you answered “yes” to questions 2(a) or 2(b) so that you are fully aware of any implications.

Important: If you have applied for a study permit, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), or a work permit, whether it is approved or rejected, you must report that to IRCC by checking the box "Yes" to 2(c). You must also write down when you applied for each type of document in the box and provide additional details.

TRV Background

How can I sign the [IMM5257E] form if I apply online?

You do not need to print or sign your name in the signature field on the bottom of page 5 of [IMM5257E] if applying online. Simply validate, save, and upload the form without signing.

  • You will be prompted to electronically sign your application later in the online application process after you have uploaded all documents

iv. Validate your form

When you finish filling out your application form, click the blue “Validate” button (found on the first or last page). This will highlight any missing information required on your application.

  • You can make changes after the application is successfully validated. You can edit and validate as many times as you need.
  • Remember to save and upload the final form.

Once your application has been successfully validated it will show the following:

TRV Validate

If you don’t see any barcodes when you validate your application, please visit the CIC help page

v. Take screenshots as you apply

It is a good practice to take screenshots as you apply in case there are issues after you submit your application. You are welcome to take screenshots of all screens; however, these are the most important:

  1. The "Your document checklist" page after all your documents have been successfully uploaded to your MyCIC account
  2. The "Acknowledgment of receipt" page after the application has been submitted
  3. After uploading/submitting any ‘after-the-fact’ documents that an IRCC officer has requested after your original application has been submitted

Save your screenshots to a safe place where you can access them easily. 

How to take screenshots

5. Get your TRV

You will need to mail your passport to get your TRV.

Important: Do not send your passport before IRCC sends you a written request to send your passport.

 How to mail your passport

  1. Purchase two Canada Post Xpresspost prepaid 24 x 32 cm Xpresspost-National envelopes at any Canada Post location. (e.g., the University Village pharmacy at 5754 University Blvd.)
  2. Put one envelope with your address inside the other so that the IRCC can return your passport securely.

If your contact information changes after submitting your application, be sure to update it via IRCC’s webform.

6. After you receive your TRV

Add the expiry date of your new TRV in the Reminder System on your SSC (only available for degree-seeking international students).

7. If you need help

Before submitting your application

Sign up for the Canvas application review course to go over your application with helpful videos and learn about common mistakes.

Sign up now

If you have questions

You can connect with International Student Advising for questions related to immigration, health insurance, and life as an international student in Canada.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide