Co-op work permit

If you are required to work as an integral part of your studies or you are enrolled in a co-op program, you may be permitted to work off campus full time. You will need a co-op work permit.

About co-op work permits

What is it?

The co-op work permit allows international students to work when the work is for credit and is integral to your program of study. A co-op work permit allows students to work full-time during regular school terms. A co-op work permit is different from authorization to work off-campus, and you may engage in both kinds of work if you meet the criteria for each.

What does "integral to your program of study" mean?

The co-op work permit is only for work that is for credit and is a required part of your academic program such as official UBC co-op work terms and practicum placements. It cannot be used for work that is not part of your official academic program of study. For example, it cannot be used for internships required by external funding organizations or for any other kind of work that is not essential to your program of study (‘essential’ means that you cannot graduate unless you complete the work term). You can read more about these requirements on the IRCC website.

If you are not sure if your work is an essential part of your academic program, please consult with both your Academic Advisor and an International Student Advisor to make sure you are eligible to apply.

Why do I need it?

If you are enrolled in a co-op program, you are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term. Your co-op work permit will list the employer as “UBC” and will allow you to work for any authorized co-op work term authorized by your co-op coordinator. This work permit only allows you to do the job approved by your co-op program within your co-op work term. You are not authorized to use the co-op work permit to work outside these approved terms even if the permit is still valid.

When do I need it?

You may start your application for a co-op work permit as soon as you receive the letter from your co-op coordinator confirming your acceptance into the co-op program at UBC.

Co-op permits and off-campus work

co-op work permit is different from having off-campus work authorization via your study permit. You may simultaneously hold a co-op work permit and work off-campus if you meet the criteria for each.


The online job and volunteer board for UBC students and alumni.

Centre for Student Involvement and Careers

Find experiences, get resume and cover letter help, take an interview prep workshop, speak with an advisor about how to connect to campus experiences, and start building your career now.

How to apply for a co-op work permit

Get help

International Student Development

Talk to an advisor

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help.

When emailing us, include the following information in the email:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your name
  3. Your citizenship(s)
  4. All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  5. Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  6. If you request specific assistance, please provide detailed information including applicable documents, such as a rejection letter
UBC Life Building
6138 Student Union Blvd.
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1

Drop-in advising

Mon1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Tue1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Wed1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Thu1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Fri1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Helpful IRCC websites

Tips for communicating with the IRCC